Best way to detect memory leak?

TG

Hi Guys,

How is the best way to see a memory leak (if indeed there is one) when running an Executable created with LabVIEW?

LabVIEW 8.5.1 currently

I m using serial VISA and FieldPoint exclusively.

Nat instruments 16 port serial card.

Is there anything out there that is either freeware (or if it works really good low cost software) to catch the devil?

Thanks in advance

I really liked the Desktop Execution Trace toolkit. It identifies references that are not closed at run time. When I used it, the only references that were used in the code were for queues. I was very impressed by this feature. But, I cannot speak for every other entity in LabVIEW that may open a reference (ie. property node that might open a reference to a front panel).

Also, I used it in the Dev system. So you may want to return to your source code to identify the problem.

Also again, I'm pretty sure you would have to upgrade to 8.6 (or 2009 now) and it comes at a fee :(

My advice - check with your local NI Sales Rock Star. And Mark above also has some great ideas!!

Best,

N

Hi Guys,

How is the best way to see a memory leak (if indeed there is one) when running an Executable created with LabVIEW?

LabVIEW 8.5.1 currently

I m using serial VISA and FieldPoint exclusively.

Nat instruments 16 port serial card.

Is there anything out there that is either freeware (or if it works really good low cost software) to catch the devil?

Thanks in advance

There's a set of tools at

http://technet.micro...ls/default.aspx

that could be useful if you are on windows - they extend the capabilities of the task manager and performance monitor that Mark Y suggested

Mark

I really liked the Desktop Execution Trace toolkit. It identifies references that are not closed at run time. When I used it, the only references that were used in the code were for queues. I was very impressed by this feature. But, I cannot speak for every other entity in LabVIEW that may open a reference (ie. property node that might open a reference to a front panel).

Also, I used it in the Dev system. So you may want to return to your source code to identify the problem.

Also again, I'm pretty sure you would have to upgrade to 8.6 (or 2009 now) and it comes at a fee :(

My advice - check with your local NI Sales Rock Star. And Mark above also has some great ideas!!

Best,

N

This would certainly be the preferred method if you have the tools. We were very impressed with the new tools when we saw them at NI Week. We are in the process of upgrading several of our licenses to get the software engineering toolkit. However, since the toolkit is an add on I was suggesting other methods that were freely available.

If you currently have the developer's suite license and are going to upgrade make sure you inform your sales rep. NI should give you a credit for the VI analyzer that you currently have with your developer's suite license. This can save you a few bucks.