Active

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Version:LabVIEW 7.1
  • Since:2009

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:28 AM

Hi there,

Need help...can i convert a labview9version file to a labview7.1?
Im currently using 7.1version...but im trying to read a 9version file...Is there a way to read it?

Thanks and Cheers!!

Hi there,

Need help...can i convert a labview9version file to a labview7.1?
Im currently using 7.1version...but im trying to read a 9version file...Is there a way to read it?

Thanks and Cheers!!

heres the file...

Attached Files

#2 jgcode

jgcode

LabVIEW Renegade

• OpenG
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts
  • Version:LabVIEW 2009
  • Since:2005

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:32 AM

Hi Athalia

As long as all functions and structures etc... used are available in 7.x then you should be able to.
I know you can't save for 7.x using 8.2.1, I don't know which is the first lower version that will work but 8.0 should be fine (maybe someone can confirm which it is?).

You will have to open the VI in LabVIEW 2009 first.
Then select File>>Save for Previous Version...
Then save it down to e.g. LabVIEW 8.0.
Then you will have to open the new VI in e.g. LabVIEW 8.0
Then select File>>Save for Previous Version... again to 7.x
  • athalia likes this

#3 Clio75

Clio75

Very Active

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Since:2001

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:54 AM

This is annoying.
The two highest on my "bug" list is :
- you can't save to older version without having them all installed
- You can't open a VI that is to old with out having the correct verions installed.

For me I need sometimes to open old VI(I have some from 5.0 and 7.0) or exampels that is writen by others.
And this is not possible if you install the newest. :frusty: All this head-banging gives me headache :angry:

(clam down. Count from 10 to 1 slowly)
BR
Clio75
----------------------------------
LW 2010, TS 2010

#4 athalia

athalia

Active

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 01:30 PM

Hi Athalia

As long as all functions and structures etc... used are available in 7.x then you should be able to.
I know you can't save for 7.x using 8.2.1, I don't know which is the first lower version that will work but 8.0 should be fine (maybe someone can confirm which it is?).

LabVIEW 2009? Is it the latest version? or its just the installer add-on?or are you talking about the version 9?
Because im quite new to VI :)
Thanks for the reply though.Appreciate it :)

This is annoying.
- You can't open a VI that is to old with out having the correct verions installed.

For me I need sometimes to open old VI(I have some from 5.0 and 7.0) or exampels that is writen by others.
And this is not possible if you install the newest. Posted Image All this head-banging gives me headache Posted Image

Ya you are rite..why cant they just make it compatible with the rest of the version...haha

#5 François Normandin

François Normandin

Son of Scotland

• JKI
  • 1,088 posts
  • Version:LabVIEW 2013
  • Since:1999

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:17 PM

LabVIEW 2009? Is it the latest version? or its just the installer add-on?or are you talking about the version 9?

Yes, version 9.0 is LabVIEW 2009, the newest.

François [fr??swa], CLA

#6 hooovahh

hooovahh

Im no supervising technician Im a technical supervisor

• Moderators
  • 1,457 posts
  • Since:2004

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:24 PM

And this is not possible if you install the newest. :frusty: All this head-banging gives me headache :angry:

Actually you can have many versions of LabVIEW installed at once. I at one time had 5.0, 6.0, 6.1, 7.1, 8.0, 8.2, 8.5, 8.6, and 2009. All in Windows XP SP3. It's kind of a pain to setup, and it is better to use virtual machines for this if possible. A discussion was created some time ago but I can't seem to find it.

"Maybe Hoovah is really Crelf's alter-ego, which he uses to irk people?" - Gary Rubin
"Seemingly minor changes....can mean the difference between a working app and a quivering heap of unresponsive code." - David Boyd
"Using unofficial features of LabVIEW is cat nip laced with poison."
"3rd party VIs with block diagrams that are locked are useless. You see the problem all lies in the phrase "...if the VIs do what you want...". They typically don't and with locked diagrams you can't fix the problems." - Mike Porter
"If you really need a real-time system, then you really need a real-time system." - Hooovahh

#7 athalia

athalia

Active

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:45 PM

Yes, version 9.0 is LabVIEW 2009, the newest.

hmmm so you are saying that I can actually keep my version7.1 and install version9 without uninstall my version7.1?

Thanks! :)

#8 jzoller

jzoller

Very Active

• Premium Member
  • 286 posts
  • Version:LabVIEW 2012
  • Since:1998

Posted 24 November 2009 - 04:09 PM

hmmm so you are saying that I can actually keep my version7.1 and install version9 without uninstall my version7.1?

Thanks! Posted Image

Warning! Installing newer versions after installing 7.1 will remove your 7.1 DAQ drivers.

Such a charming behavior. Posted Image

Joe Z.

#9 hooovahh

hooovahh

Im no supervising technician Im a technical supervisor

• Moderators
  • 1,457 posts
  • Since:2004

Posted 24 November 2009 - 04:42 PM

Warning! Installing newer versions after installing 7.1 will remove your 7.1 DAQ drivers.

Such a charming behavior. Posted Image

Joe Z.

Thanks for mentioning that. While many versions of LabVIEW can co-exist happily, the addons, and extras that come with LabVIEW is a more difficult. When I said "it is a pain to setup" I should have mentioned the extra difficulties involved in making everyone happy. While I had all these versions installed they were mostly used for down converting code. I never actually deployed code saved in 5.0 to a DAQ system.

"Maybe Hoovah is really Crelf's alter-ego, which he uses to irk people?" - Gary Rubin
"Seemingly minor changes....can mean the difference between a working app and a quivering heap of unresponsive code." - David Boyd
"Using unofficial features of LabVIEW is cat nip laced with poison."
"3rd party VIs with block diagrams that are locked are useless. You see the problem all lies in the phrase "...if the VIs do what you want...". They typically don't and with locked diagrams you can't fix the problems." - Mike Porter
"If you really need a real-time system, then you really need a real-time system." - Hooovahh

#10 Yair

Yair

Extwemely Active

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  • Since:2003

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:17 PM

This is no longer true. At least so far, every version since 8.2 can save all the way back to 8.0.

Yes, but the numbers are reasonably large. You may not be able to open your 5.0 VIs in the newest versions, but you can definitely open the 7.0 VIs.

Why are these "highest" on your list? Do you move code between versions often?

#11 athalia

athalia

Active

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 02:49 AM

Could anyone help me to convert this file to 7.1 version..please!!

thanks!!

Attached Files

#12 athalia

athalia

Active

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:00 AM

Hi Athalia

Hey jgcode thanks for the steps given from you...Ive manage to convert the file...just like you instruct.
Thanks again!! :)

#13 jgcode

jgcode

LabVIEW Renegade

• OpenG
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts
  • Since:2005

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:06 AM

Hey jgcode thanks for the steps given from you...Ive manage to convert the file...just like you instruct.
Thanks again!! :)

No worries, glad you got it to work! :)