jgcode

LabVIEW Renegade

• OpenG
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,406 posts
  • Version:LabVIEW 2009
  • Since:2005

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:38 AM

Not keen on the document idea which would basically be just a list of links that someone has to maintain.

Actually you could add links, text, pictures or even code.

And the Community could maintain and add to it as opposed to an individual someone.

Currently code in the CR is reviewed which I don't see the point of (too formal as you say) and a dedicated forum seems a bit of overkill?

#22 jbjorlie

jbjorlie

More Active

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Version:LabVIEW 2011
  • Since:2011

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

Without getting off-topic too much here, don't you guy's think someone wanting to pass the CLD exam would want to take the fastest route to success? I know I have heard people here and there stating that the CLA exam was difficult due to the time limit. Isn't writing LVOOP code just going to make it harder?

I love learning and using LVOOP. It seems like an improvement for scalability and save time over the life-cycle of a project, but unless NI makes a change to the test format itself, what's the benefit of using it for the exams?

That said, LVOOP is massively under-exampled so :thumbup1: on the idea.

(BTW ShaunR, I see u no longer have your "lvoop bugs" jingle. R u now a convert?)

Edited by jbjorlie, 17 February 2012 - 06:32 PM.

#23 ShaunR

ShaunR

LabVIEW Archetype

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts
  • Since:1994

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:47 PM

(BTW ShaunR, I see u no longer have your "lvoop bugs" jingle. R u now a convert?)

Nope. Apart from the odd list encapsulation. I steer well clear of it unless dragged kicking and screaming.

However. LVPOOP is now a part of LabVIEW and the CLD exams are specified tasks with example answers. So for people learning LabVIEW (and have been infected with the OOP virus), they are an ideal way to learn the pro's and cons of adopting the paradigm. More importantaly though, they can show that elusive aspect of how to go about solving a specific task using LVPOOP rather than trying to review more complicated private projects (that have no exampled equivalence to classical LabVIEW) and then trying to figure out how to apply it to thier situation.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. (Herm Albright 1876-1944).

Founder and general mischief maker on www.lvs-tools.co.uk.
SQlite aficionado and websocket zealot.
If it 'aint in LabVIEW, then you 'aint got a clue!

#24 Daklu

Daklu

Bringing the Fu to you

• Premium Member
  • 1,830 posts
  • Since:2006

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:03 PM

Without getting off-topic too much here, don't you guy's think someone wanting to pass the CLD exam would want to take the fastest route to success?

Yep. If you read my posts far enough back you'll find I'm not real big on the queued state machine. However, the one place I do recommend using it is for the CLD exam. As much as I cringe at the thought of using QSMs, the exam problems and requirements are set up such that the most direct route to a passing grade is with the QSM.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Dak's First Law of Problem Solving: If the solution looks simple, I don't know enough about the problem.

Yes, the QSM is flexible. So is Jello. That doesn't make it good construction material.

There are two secrets to success:
Secret #1 - Never tell everything you know.

#25 Aristos Queue

Aristos Queue

LV R&D: I write C++/# so you don't have to.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,782 posts
  • Since:2000

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:57 AM

Without getting off-topic too much here, don't you guy's think someone wanting to pass the CLD exam would want to take the fastest route to success?

And for many people, that fastest route is LVOOP (especially if I'm taking the exam with LV 2012... hehehe).

Edited by Aristos Queue, 18 February 2012 - 12:58 AM.

#26 Val Brown

Val Brown

The 500 club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:25 AM

And for many people, that fastest route is LVOOP (especially if I'm taking the exam with LV 2012... hehehe).

hmmmmmmmmm sounds like a non-announcement announcement of an as yet unknown capability. To quote an old time radio show:

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows...."

We'll just have to wait to see what happens next.
All of my objects are byval

#27 Daklu

Daklu

Bringing the Fu to you

• Premium Member
  • 1,830 posts
  • Since:2006

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

And for many people, that fastest route is LVOOP

I'm sure that is true; however, it seems to me that...

a) LVOOP will be the faster route only for those developers already experienced in OOD/OOP, and...
b) Experienced LVOOP developers will get limited value out of posted examples, while at the same time...
c) Inexperienced LVOOP developers will have a hard time understanding the design decisions and associated tradeoffs.

For those on the fence about using LVOOP on the CLD, I admit I used it on my CLD exam. (At least I'm pretty sure I did... it was several years ago.) In my case I got a coupon for a free exam so the cost of failure would only be a hit to my pride. I decided to use LVOOP partly to prove to myself I could do it, and partly because my thought process was so deeply OOP oriented I felt like it would be harder to switch back to traditional techniques for the exam. At the end of 4 hours I was not confident my solution would pass. It did, but in retrospect I think it would have been easier had I stuck with traditional techniques.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Dak's First Law of Problem Solving: If the solution looks simple, I don't know enough about the problem.

Yes, the QSM is flexible. So is Jello. That doesn't make it good construction material.

There are two secrets to success:
Secret #1 - Never tell everything you know.

#28 ShaunR

ShaunR

LabVIEW Archetype

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

hmmmmmmmmm sounds like a non-announcement announcement of an as yet unknown capability.

Naaah. He just means they've added more wizards :D

So.
Anyone offering the car wash and traffic lights?

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. (Herm Albright 1876-1944).

Founder and general mischief maker on www.lvs-tools.co.uk.
SQlite aficionado and websocket zealot.
If it 'aint in LabVIEW, then you 'aint got a clue!

#29 0_o

0_o

Very Active

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Version:LabVIEW 2013
  • Since:2004

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:08 AM

I just stumbled upon this link: http://rosettacode.o...ki/Rosetta_Code
It contains a very poor selection of code examples and I don't think you can upload entire projects so the sophistication level is low and limited.
However, I love the idea!
I don't remember where I saw it but I think LV 2012 is going to have project templates besides vit.
If that is true I would love to share and learn from both solutions to LV exams and from general end to end project examples that cover all the bases down to testing a product.
Little by little LV could get an entire toolbox of add-ons that supports code development just like Java users do with projects like Eclipse.

#30 Aristos Queue

Aristos Queue

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:01 AM

Naaah. He just means they've added more wizards :D

Yep. Lovely lovely wizards. :-)

#31 Tim_S

Tim_S

The 500 club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Version:LabVIEW 2012

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

I'm sure that is true; however, it seems to me that...

a) LVOOP will be the faster route only for those developers already experienced in OOD/OOP, and...
b) Experienced LVOOP developers will get limited value out of posted examples, while at the same time...
c) Inexperienced LVOOP developers will have a hard time understanding the design decisions and associated tradeoffs.

I agree with (a), but would argue (b) and ©. Experience does not equate to skilled and even a skilled programmer can get something out of an example. Inexperienced people can learn from the example and should (not will, should) ask questions if they don't understand something.
Tim

"If this was easy our kids would be doing it." - Coworker

#32 Stagg54

Stagg54

Very Active

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Since:2007

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:19 PM

for what it is worth, I passed the CLA with an LVOOP implementation.

unfortunately I can't post it (for obvious reasons)

#33 Aristos Queue

Aristos Queue

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:57 AM

The first rule about Beta-Club is you do not talk about Beta-Club!

True... and I should probably set a better example for customers who are in Beta Club... but I get some special dispensation from time to time.

#34 Val Brown

Val Brown

The 500 club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:57 AM

True... and I should probably set a better example for customers who are in Beta Club... but I get some special dispensation from time to time.

....as I said, new capability: wizards and dispensation to "announce" them, surreptitiously.
All of my objects are byval