NI Service Locator not installed

Dear LabVIEW friends, 

I'm running into a problem distribution my application. This is opening a UDP connection registering a service as explained in the documentation. It is perfectly working when running within the development system and also as a standalone application on the development computer. 

The problem is with the installer and the distribution package. When I install the application of a different computer, it fails with error 63 at the Open UDP. Reading the available documentation it looks like it is a Service Locator fault. So I checked and indeed the NI Service Locator is not running on that machine and it is not even distributed with the installer. 

I've tried to go through the list of additional installers in the Installer build properties but couldn't find anything useful. 

I'm sure I'm doing badly something wrong, can you help me in sorting this out?

Cheers,

toto

I don't have a recommendation for your specific issue, but if you just select all the additional installers does everything work? How about if you manually install the full runtime engine yourself?

I ran into a similar issue with the 64 bit IDE where the installer it created was missing some critical component that broke my executable. After contacting an application engineer at NI the only solution was to use a third party installer which installs the the entire runtime as there was no way to configure the IDE to include the component- you might have to do the same, or alternatively instruct users to install the full RTE themselves.

I should add that if you can narrow down what's going on, please contact NI so they can log the issue and address it in future releases.

• Like 1
I don't have a recommendation for your specific issue, but if you just select all the additional installers does everything work? How about if you manually install the full runtime engine yourself?

I ran into a similar issue with the 64 bit IDE where the installer it created was missing some critical component that broke my executable. After contacting an application engineer at NI the only solution was to use a third party installer which installs the the entire runtime as there was no way to configure the IDE to include the component- you might have to do the same, or alternatively instruct users to install the full RTE themselves.

I should add that if you can narrow down what's going on, please contact NI so they can log the issue and address it in future releases.

Thanks mje,

first of all I have understood that starting from LV 2012 the NI Service Locator is within the NI System Web Server that is a bit confusing because in my mind a web server is doing something different from what the Service Locator is supposed to do. 

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/36C0C11A2BF89AF8862577A70049F17B

Anyway, after adding the NI System Web Server to the installer, it was not yet working because the service was not active. Once manually activated, the problem seems to be solved. 

I'll need to try on a third pc to verify if the issue is still there or not. 

Thanks again

toto

Virtual machines are invaluable for this in my opinion. Bear in mind you can install any version of Windows that predates 8 without a license key and it will be fully functional for 30 days. Perfect for sorting these issues out. We use VirtualBox for this, but there are of course other options.

I think that what was missing was a simple reboot. I've rebooted the PC after the installation and checked the services. All where running and the issue is solved for the moment. 

The virtual machine is a perfect solution. I'll keep that in mind for the future...

thanks 

toto

I had to do this to get an installation working.  More details here.  But just wanted to say thanks!