Bare minimum Requirement For LabVIEW Application to Run on Linux

NIKLIVE

Hello All,

I am developing the application for Linux using LabVIEW For Linux under openSUSE 12.1 & 11.4 versions.

My application would be a stand alone application running on the system.

What I want to achieve is :-

a). An application which would serve the tasks defined by user and will do that tasks continuously. Here this system with LabVIEW application will be acting as the Server.

b). Another application which would act as user interface to client for configuring the tasks & this tasks will be sent to Server System as mentioned in point no. a. Here the LabVIEW application will be acting as User Interface Client.

Now my Questions are:-

1. What is the bare minimum requirement by the LabVIEW application from the Linux OS to run the LabVIEW application without interface or X window in Linux or the LaBVIEW application in the console format in Linux.

2. What is the bare minimum requirement by the LabVIEW application from Linux OS to run the LabVIEW application with LabVIEW GUI interface.

In above both system is not considered as for development, considered as only for deployment point of view. Development System will be different.

Please give your valuable suggestions or help or guidance if anyone has done this before.

Thanks & Regards.

Nilesh

I have no LabVIEW + Linux experience so keep that in mind.  But your questions seems to open ended.  What if I asked:

What is the minimum system requirements for a program to run in Windows?

The problem with this question is it depends on what the program does.  If I write a hello world program, that should run (if it has compatibility) on any Windows version.  If I wrote some new high end first person shooter then that program may have other system requirements for the program.

Similarly you can ask what are the system requirements to run a hello world program, and I would say any processor Pentium 1 or newer with and 32MB of RAM (maybe less).  But if you are writing a program with more processing needs the requirements will be higher.  No one can say what the requirements are until the program is complete.

I would try killing x to see whatit does. LabVIEW still doesn't have a concept of a console only app even on Linux. Best case it still runs without issue but I wonder whether it will throw an issue. In terms of sw requirements, as a few people have said you need the runtime engine. I am not aware of any dependency listings beyond the 3 distros NI officially support. That said I have found it to run without issue on manjaro so there's nothing too specific.

Hello All,

I am developing the application for Linux using LabVIEW For Linux under openSUSE 12.1 & 11.4 versions.

My application would be a stand alone application running on the system.

What I want to achieve is :-

a). An application which would serve the tasks defined by user and will do that tasks continuously. Here this system with LabVIEW application will be acting as the Server.

b). Another application which would act as user interface to client for configuring the tasks & this tasks will be sent to Server System as mentioned in point no. a. Here the LabVIEW application will be acting as User Interface Client.

Now my Questions are:-

1. What is the bare minimum requirement by the LabVIEW application from the Linux OS to run the LabVIEW application without interface or X window in Linux or the LaBVIEW application in the console format in Linux.

2. What is the bare minimum requirement by the LabVIEW application from Linux OS to run the LabVIEW application with LabVIEW GUI interface.

In above both system is not considered as for development, considered as only for deployment point of view. Development System will be different.

Please give your valuable suggestions or help or guidance if anyone has done this before.

Thanks & Regards.

Nilesh

Here i am considering the standard x86 based standard PC with latest intel Atom Processor with HDD + 2GB RAM etc..

Here i want to achieve is best processing so i want to chop down the Linux OS. All will be data processing with this application and send to and fro data over TCP/IP.

If processing is the concern then the main issue is going to be background processes. The good news is I wouldn't expect much dependency here. I still don't know if it will run without X but going for a minimal window manager will be a good start. Then removing any continuous running processes in the background (use top to see what is running). I don't imagine there are many/any that are required.

EDIT: Just tested, definitely need X running.

You can build a Shared Library in LabVIEW for Linux with the "Embedded" runtime (in the Advanced page of the build spec properties check the box that says "Use embedded version of run-time engine"). When you do this your shared library will link against a LabVIEW runtime engine without GUI support, which means it does not require X windows. We don't support building executables this way, but you can build a shared library and then load it into a simple shell executable written in another language. This may be a useful way to write your server.

As for system requirements in general, our website documents that information: http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/2541 (see the "overview" tab).

• 1 year later...

Right, but my previous post explained how you can create a LabVIEW application on Linux that does not have a dependency on X11 at all. That method is officially supported, and it was designed for exactly this use case. It is what we (NI) recommend doing.

Oooooh. LabVIEW streaming server on NAS? :book: