Computer Requirements

jasonx

Hello,

First off I should mention that I just started using Labview for the first time today. While I'm learning the basics of the program, I need to find a PC that can run the program in a real-time environment (ETS or RTX).

Does anyone have any experience with Ardence's Phar Lap ETS or RTX? I'm trying to pick out parts for the computer that will run either one and Labview (possibly Labview Real-Time) simultaneously. I noticed that the RT version of Labview is pretty pick hardware wise. http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/3efedde43...75?OpenDocument

Does regular Labview have similar quirks? With regard to Labview Real-Time, the main problem I'm having is trying to find out what network cards to use. If I pick a network card that is on the list of supported network chipsets, will it be compatible with the ETS or RTX or does the Real-time operating system even care?

I found the following page on Ardence's site. At the very bottom it mentions a few network chipsets but I wasn't sure if I needed a network chipset that is on the Labview requirement list and also on this list.

http://ardence.com/embedded/products.aspx?ID=625

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

Hello,

First off I should mention that I just started using Labview for the first time today. While I'm learning the basics of the program, I need to find a PC that can run the program in a real-time environment (ETS or RTX).

Does anyone have any experience with Ardence's Phar Lap ETS or RTX? I'm trying to pick out parts for the computer that will run either one and Labview (possibly Labview Real-Time) simultaneously. I noticed that the RT version of Labview is pretty pick hardware wise. http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/3efedde43...75?OpenDocument

Does regular Labview have similar quirks? With regard to Labview Real-Time, the main problem I'm having is trying to find out what network cards to use. If I pick a network card that is on the list of supported network chipsets, will it be compatible with the ETS or RTX or does the Real-time operating system even care?

I found the following page on Ardence's site. At the very bottom it mentions a few network chipsets but I wasn't sure if I needed a network chipset that is on the Labview requirement list and also on this list.

http://ardence.com/embedded/products.aspx?ID=625

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason,

Welcome to the LabView world! Jumping into LabView Real-Time head first is not the easiest way to start, and it may be worthwhile to look at some other training material before you go down the real-time path. As for your questions...

No, LabView is not very picky about what kind of computer it runs on. Faster is better of course, but I started with a PII 400 and LabView 5. I now run LV 7, 7.1, and 8 on a Dual Opteron 240 (1.6 Ghz) with 2 GB of ram. Graphics cards do make a little difference, but only if your graphics card is old (>3 yrs old).

As for the LabView Realtime specs for a desktop PC... Most of the specs are related to the network card, since the real-time system's communications to the outside world is directly related to how well it can communicate with the network card. But since the Intel Pro 1000 (which is compatable with Pharlap) is avaliable for ~$50.00 from most any online distributor you shouldn't have any trouble affording a network card that will work with the RTX or ETS systems. I personally haven't done any Real-Time deployment to desktop PCs, but I have read on Info-LV about a person running ETS or RTX on a Pentium II 400 class machine so the specs aren't that picky...

As for wanting to run LabView and LabView Real-Time on the machine, while also being able to make that machine a RT target itself... I don't think you can do that. The way that LabView transfers the RT program to a Real-Time target for it to run is through the network card, so you will need a machine to develop on, and a machine to deploy too. If you have more questions (which I'm sure you will), ask away...

Chris :thumbup:

• 1 month later...
As for the LabView Realtime specs for a desktop PC... Most of the specs are related to the network card, since the real-time system's communications to the outside world is directly related to how well it can communicate with the network card. But since the Intel Pro 1000 (which is compatable with Pharlap) is avaliable for ~$50.00 from most any online distributor you shouldn't have any trouble affording a network card that will work with the RTX or ETS systems. I personally haven't done any Real-Time deployment to desktop PCs, but I have read on Info-LV about a person running ETS or RTX on a Pentium II 400 class machine so the specs aren't that picky...

Folks,

I just wanted to make a note that the specific PCI card linked to in the above quote does NOT work for Labview Real Time ETS v7.1. I can't speak to whether or not it does in Labview RT v8. The chipset used in the above card is the Intel 82541PI. A very similar card based on the Intel 82540EM DOES work with Labview RT ETS v7.1, and it can be purchased here. Even though they are cheap, the NICs usable for Labview RT ETS v7.1 are so specific, its rather crtitical to make sure the correct one gets selected.

It is, of course, possible to get NI's combo GPIB and Gbit ethernet card, but that will cost you more.

-Pete Liiva