I have been trying to create an installer for my latest version of one of our applications. (using LV 8.0 on Windows XP) The build of the exe from the vi works normally, but not the installer builder. When the builder asks for a disk in D:\ to locate the installer source for "Setup" distribution, it doesn't respond to any of my disks. I have copied all three of the disks to the HD to see if that helps, and it does not like any of them there either. Rebooting has not helped.

The message details from the Build Errors box is below:

LabVIEW cannot locate some components necessary to build the installer. The components are from the following distribution(s):

Distribution name: Setup

Last known distribution path: D:\

The message details from the Build Errors box is below:

CDK_Build_Invoke.vi.ProxyCaller >> CDK_Build_Invoke.vi >> CDK_Engine_Main.vi >> CDK_Engine_Build.vi >> CDK_Engine_PromptForMissingDist.vi

Loading product deployment information

Loading product deployment information

Adding files to installer

Done adding files

Preparing to build deployment

Copying products from distributions

Done building deployment

What NI components have you added to your installer? Try building an installer with no additional NI components. Then add NI components one at time to see which one of them is causing a problem.

Sometimes adding installers for components that need a runtime NI licence like Vision components for example, might cause problems (but it does generally work).

Have you built an executable for your code already (this needs to be done before you build the installer).

If all else fails, make a new build spec (leave the old one) and try afresh.

Neville.

The exe from the first builder step works on the development computer.

The only additional installer is the NI-VISA Runtime 4.4 which has the distribution title "Setup", which is different from the other installers that are available. The others all say "National Instruments Device Drivers- November 2005, Disk 1" or "NI LabVIEW 8.0".

Without the VISA installer added, it builds normally, although it obviously won't work on a target machine.

Is the distribution title the key to the problem?

QUOTE (twinsemi @ May 5 2009, 03:27 PM)

The exe from the first builder step works on the development computer.

The only additional installer is the NI-VISA Runtime 4.4 which has the distribution title "Setup", which is different from the other installers that are available. The others all say "National Instruments Device Drivers- November 2005, Disk 1" or "NI LabVIEW 8.0".

Without the VISA installer added, it builds normally, although it obviously won't work on a target machine.

Is the distribution title the key to the problem?

Try reinstalling the VISA from a none location. The installer is looking for the VISA runtime components required to include the VISA install in the application installer. The install builder is looking for the VISA stuff from where it was last installed.

The location as set in the properties of the installer do not stick. No change stays in the box when I reopen it or do a build. It comes up as "Setup" every time, and it doesn't recognize any of the LV distribution disks. It looks like I need to remove the current install of LabVIEW and reinstall it. I tried to do a repair on the VISA driver in "Add or Remove Programs", but it has the same problem, in that it wants a disk named "Setup". The LV disks won't repair it. It must be corrupted.

You should only have to download or re-install the correct version of NI-VISA (make sure to keep the installation folder around so you can build installers from it).

I had a similar problem because I upgraded a needed runtime but didn't keep the downloaded setup files for my installer builds.