Firewire camera connected to CVS.

I am currently working on Laview 8.6 along with the computer vision system (CVS) and C-RIO.

I am able to upload program onto the CVS and acquire images. However, I am trying to run a program from my pc using the camera that is connected to the CVS.

If I connect the camera directly to the pc, the vi runs smoothly. Once the camera is connected to the CVS, and I run rhe program on the computer, I get an error specifying that the camera is not found.

The problem is in specifying the camera name. How do I tell Labview to search for the camera connected to the CVS?

For simplicity, I am using the imaq grab.vi found in the labview examples. CVS and computer are connected through a network hub (each have its own ip address).

Thanks,

Karin

I'm not clear what your trying to achieve. Are you processing the images on the PC? If the camera is connected to the CVS, you cannot use it directly with code on your PC. Process the image on the CVS and transmit the result to the host (PC).

You can however, run code on your PC that is pointed to the CVS. i.e in your Project folder, if there is code under your CVS target, you can open and run the code in the development environment. This mode is for debug and will be slow for the CVS since in general they have very little memory (128MB max I think?).

If you just want to display the image, connect a 1280x1024 monitor to the CVS, overlay graphical (lines/circles etc.) or text information on the image and display this on the remote monitor.

If you want to use the data from the CVS, you have to set up a mechanism to acquire the image and transmit it (or the result) to the PC via any number of communication mechanisms:

shared variables/TCP-IP/UDP/FTP.

Look at examples for these.

Neville.

QUOTE (Neville D @ May 7 2009, 05:40 PM)

I'm not clear what your trying to achieve. Are you processing the images on the PC? If the camera is connected to the CVS, you cannot use it directly with code on your PC. Process the image on the CVS and transmit the result to the host (PC).

You can however, run code on your PC that is pointed to the CVS. i.e in your Project folder, if there is code under your CVS target, you can open and run the code in the development environment. This mode is for debug and will be slow for the CVS since in general they have very little memory (128MB max I think?).

If you just want to display the image, connect a 1280x1024 monitor to the CVS, overlay graphical (lines/circles etc.) or text information on the image and display this on the remote monitor.

If you want to use the data from the CVS, you have to set up a mechanism to acquire the image and transmit it (or the result) to the PC via any number of communication mechanisms:

shared variables/TCP-IP/UDP/FTP.

Look at examples for these.

Neville.

Thank you for the reply,

I was trying to get familiar with the CVS through projects, and use the firewire port of the CVS to capture a .avi movie, and save it on the hard disk.

If I cannot use the camera if it is connected to the CVS (and run a vi from the computer), then you have answered my question. (I am still new and trying to learn how to use the CVS and C-Rio for future project).

However if you can help me on the next issue, I will appreciate it: How can I (through the LAN) get a boolean output from the the CVS and triggier a Digital out port on the the C-RIO?

I have tried using a global variable and run the vi's on the each devices, without any result.

I have attached the project and saved the vi in Labview 8.2 version.

http://lavag.org/old_files/post-15606-1241722358.zip'>Download File:post-15606-1241722358.zip

Karin

QUOTE (Karin @ May 7 2009, 12:00 PM)

You can save the avi on the compact flash memory on the CVS and ftp the file later (programmatically or manually).

QUOTE (Karin @ May 7 2009, 12:00 PM)

How can I (through the LAN) get a boolean output from the the CVS and triggier a Digital out port on the the C-RIO?

I have tried using a global variable and run the vi's on the each devices, without any result.

Did you know that the CVS also has digital lines that you can control? Maybe you don't need to communicate to the cRIO at all.

Global variables are valid for all the code on a particular platform. Try using shared variables. Look at examples. They are easy to setup and are a first step to communicating between different NI hardware or between NI hardware and a PC (running LV code).

Neville.