Resizing a function

Is it possible to create a VI that can be resized by the developer to allow multiple inputs?

For example, Index Array can be resized by dragging the bottom of the icon... It'll then take multiple indices, and will return the elements for each of them as outputs.

(I'm using LV 7.1)

QUOTE (turbo @ May 8 2009, 10:23 AM)

Is it possible to create a VI that can be resized by the developer to allow multiple inputs?

For example, Index Array can be resized by dragging the bottom of the icon... It'll then take multiple indices, and will return the elements for each of them as outputs.

(I'm using LV 7.1)

Not officially. There is something called Xnodes that supposedly can do that. It is undocumented except some info in the Rusty Nails subforum here on LAVA and as I have understood quite a bumpy experience to create them. If you really are VERY VERY much inclined you can try that but it is likely yu loose interest long before you get something really nice and shiny :shifty: . I haven't tried but it seems like a frustrating exercise to me.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Just to add, in 7.1 we have external nodes, not XNodes. External nodes are said to be even more problematic than XNodes and will not be supported by some version of LV (I don't know if it is already discontinued or when it might happen). This prevented me from looking deeper into that issue, as I have some ideas to use them. But having 'rusty nails' code that breaks and no one except you has any clue on how this was done, I think of it as a really bad idea.

On the other hand, in the informal documentation on external Nodes, there is a merge error VI, with the same behaviour as the build array function. So if you really, really want to do it, this way already was gone once...

But again, be warned to explore those fields. You'll be a lone wolf on death march and no one will come to rescue you if you're lost in the mystical woods of intangible wires.

Felix