Load Only FP into memory

I am trying to list all the VIs with specific controls on the FP, however I don't want to load all those VIs into memory. Some may contain several classes and have a long loading time when using 'Open VI Reference'.

Does anyone know if it is possible to only load the front panel of a VI into memory to check which controls are available?

Ton

QUOTE (Aristos Queue @ May 10 2009, 01:27 AM)

Use the private scripting method "Read Link Info" and scan the returned list for the item in question. The link info is all of the dependencies this VI has including subVIs, typedefs, classes, xcontrols, libraries, etc.

Yes I know the Read Linker Info, however I want the piece of info that is missing from the linker, I need to know if some controls/indicators (by name) are present, I don't need to know what subvis they use.

Ton

I think other people must have covered this as well, so I get a little bit more descriptive.

I am trying to list all VIs in a given directory that will fit a given framework.

Basically the front panel should have 2 given controls of a certain type and label, together with 3 indicators of a given type and label.

The genuine problem is that loading the VIs with Open VI reference takes up to a few minutes when the VI that is called only takes a few seconds to run. So I try to only open up the front panel and see if the VIs match those criteria.

Ton

QUOTE (Ton @ May 12 2009, 05:58 PM)

I think other people must have covered this as well, so I get a little bit more descriptive.

I am trying to list all VIs in a given directory that will fit a given framework.

Basically the front panel should have 2 given controls of a certain type and label, together with 3 indicators of a given type and label.

The genuine problem is that loading the VIs with Open VI reference takes up to a few minutes when the VI that is called only takes a few seconds to run. So I try to only open up the front panel and see if the VIs match those criteria.

Ton

This seems a bit bizarre. My whole application (a couple of thousand vi's) only takes a few seconds to load (via an open ref then run from a splash-loader). Why does it take yours a few minutes to load a vi? Does it have to search for sub-vi's?

QUOTE (Ton @ May 12 2009, 06:47 PM)

Yes, but you use a splash loader....

PM me if you are part of the current Beta.

Ton

Sorry, I'm not.

Not quite sure what difference it makes if the open file ref is in a splash-loader or not, but, I also have a "cleaner", which goes through all the vi's, loading them and identifying orphan files. That only takes a couple of minutes to load and check every vi. So I'm still a bit baffled.

QUOTE (Ton @ May 12 2009, 09:13 PM)

I have a plugin selector, but I want beforehand check which VIs are valid plugin VIs, but some of these VIs have an enormous footprint and take up a minute to load, even if the user decides to load another plugin VI. So I want to limit the time needed to check which VIs are valid plugin VIs.

Ton

can you not do it by the plug-in name? (therefore avoid loading anything)