LabVIEW 2009

QUOTE (normandinf @ May 13 2009, 03:07 AM)

I've noticed that a lot of newcomers on this forum are already using LabVIEW 2009... (or so they say :P )

I feel I've been left behind... :(

Awwww. Don't feel left out. Feel smug in the fact of knowing that they will find all the bugs first so that when you upgrade to 2009.1, it actually works :P

QUOTE (normandinf @ May 13 2009, 10:07 AM)

I've noticed that a lot of newcomers on this forum are already using LabVIEW 2009... (or so they say :P )

I feel I've been left behind... :(

Dude I don't even think its out yet.

Major release are done at NI WEEK.

This is a major release.

The only place I have seen its name is on Darren's Blog.

Unless I, like you, have been left behind!! :o

QUOTE (jgcode @ May 13 2009, 08:10 AM)

Dude I don't even think its out yet.

Major release are done at NI WEEK.

This is a major release.

The only place I have seen its name is on Darren's Blog.

Unless I, like you, have been left behind!! :o

People were invited to apply for the beta testing on NI forum.

Felix

QUOTE (Black Pearl @ May 13 2009, 03:53 AM)

People were invited to apply for the beta testing on NI forum.

Of course... I was simply pointing out that a huge proportion of newbies (first post) profiles mention thath they don't use LabVIEW 8.x nor 7.x, but exclusively 2009.

I noticed this funny fact because when I want to post a reply, I generally look at the versions used by the author, to determine if I can upload some code snippet they could use.

QUOTE (normandinf @ May 13 2009, 08:47 AM)

Of course... I was simply pointing out that a huge proportion of newbies (first post) profiles mention thath they don't use LabVIEW 8.x nor 7.x, but exclusively 2009.

I noticed this funny fact because when I want to post a reply, I generally look at the versions used by the author, to determine if I can upload some code snippet they could use.

If anyone out there as the time and inclination to Beta test 2009 I'd like to encourage you to sign up for the beta program in the hopes of 2009 being a killer version.

Ben

Quick note to beta testers: while it's okay to mention you're on the LabVIEW 2009 beta, do NOT discuss any of it's features on LAVA until it's released. Doing so is a violation of te NDA you signed with NI. Also, there's an exclusive private board on the dark side for discussing it - so don't do it here. This goes for all beta products where the NDA expressly limits you from discussing it in the public domain. Now, back to our regularly scheduled programme.

QUOTE (normandinf @ May 12 2009, 10:07 PM)

Perhaps LabVIEW 2009 is the default selector when ppl sign up? Maybe we should remove it from the list and only include officially released versions? I'm not sure what benefit having 2009 in there is if we can't share code on the forum (and we can't).

QUOTE (crelf @ May 13 2009, 11:42 AM)

Perhaps LabVIEW 2009 is the default selector when ppl sign up? Maybe we should remove it from the list and only include officially released versions? I'm not sure what benefit having 2009 in there is if we can't share code on the forum (and we can't).

I agree. I don't think it makes sense to list an unreleased LabVIEW version as an option when setting up a LAVA profile.

-D

Actually, it is the default selector value (I just recently made this account). Furthermore, it is fun to assign oneself a Version that does not officially exist.

Felix

Edit: It make sense to have it listed, as those persons woul be able to read 8.6 code, though they propably need to post in the version they have as non-beta license. So you could spare yourself a downgrade to something like 7.1 (I heared that downgrading is easily possible inside the 8.x familiy.

QUOTE (Black Pearl @ May 13 2009, 02:21 PM)

Actually, it is the default selector value (I just recently made this account). Furthermore, it is fun to assign oneself a Version that does not officially exist.

Hah, I just realized that at some point in the past, I changed my profile to include LV 2009 too. :) To add credibility to my previous statement, I've changed it back to only list the released LabVIEW versions I use. ;)

-D

My planning before the posts about of NDA and such stuff was joking around:

That's the newly recruited service staff of NI, which are here to get the answers they should give on the offical forum... (o.k., they arn't that bad, but sometimes...)

Felix

QUOTE (crelf @ May 13 2009, 11:03 PM)

Quick note to beta testers: while it's okay to mention you're on the LabVIEW 2009 beta, do NOT discuss any of it's features on LAVA until it's released. Doing so is a violation of te NDA you signed with NI. Also, there's an exclusive private board on the dark side for discussing it - so don't do it here. This goes for all beta products where the NDA expressly limits you from discussing it in the public domain. Now, back to our regularly scheduled programme.

I wonder that LabVIEW should include in some features VB & C# having, just like the properties page.

I HATE hit the right mouse while i want to change the properties of Contols or Indicators on the FP.

QUOTE (huotom @ May 14 2009, 04:44 AM)

I wonder that LabVIEW should include in some features VB & C# having, just like the properties page.

I HATE hit the right mouse while i want to change the properties of Contols or Indicators on the FP.

I have a challenge.

It would be quite easy to get started on this, but you can build such a VI.

You can get the actual selected controls from a VI (to have an idea the CCT API has such code)

So for any of the major datatypes with a lot of controls (numeric/string/path) you could write a set of properties you wish to access, now with a little floating VI you can interact with the selected control.

The best thing about this, is that when you do this just enough to get the downloads spinning, NI will realize this is a very usefull feature and they will implement it really good and much better than any of us could ever do.

Ton

QUOTE (Ton @ May 14 2009, 12:07 PM)

I have a challenge.

It would be quite easy to get started on this, but you can build such a VI.

You can get the actual selected controls from a VI (to have an idea the CCT API has such code)

So for any of the major datatypes with a lot of controls (numeric/string/path) you could write a set of properties you wish to access, now with a little floating VI you can interact with the selected control.

The best thing about this, is that when you do this just enough to get the downloads spinning, NI will realize this is a very usefull feature and they will implement it really good and much better than any of us could ever do.

Ton

I don't think that NI would enclose this feature for a long time unless there is a huge evolution or a big challenge.

I like G language programming because of its quick development and establish. But sometimes I use text-based laguage with IDE like Visual Studio .net , because I can deal with the objects' properties easily and properly.

QUOTE (huotom @ May 14 2009, 07:33 AM)

I don't think that NI would enclose this feature for a long time unless there is a huge evolution or a big challenge.

They most likely will adept, one of the recent Stackoverflow podcast discussed this, the comment of Joel Spolsky was that any commercial product that had successfull open source extensions/plugins they will be embraced and implemente as a feature by the owner.

Ton