Struggling to make a knob-position indicator...

Hello-

I'm struggling quite a bit despite the documentation I've found here (http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361B-01/lvconcepts/custom_cont_ind_type/).

Everytime I open up a new control or go to Advanced>>Customize from a Picture Ring, I can't seem to get the behavior of the picture ring right- It makes me wonder if I even Understand the way the picture ring is supposed to work.

Either way, this is what I'm trying to do:

I'm making a system that uses vision to interpret the position of a dial (one that is manually adjusted by hand when in use). And although I have the vision part of this system practically finished (spits out the angle of the dial), I can't seem to get the indicator of the dials position to function the way I want. I thought a picture ring would let you essentially associate a value with a picture, and have that value as in input trigger the display of the associated image.

is my understanding of picture ring skewed or just plain wrong? Would you suggest doing this another way?

Thanks for any and all suggestions or info

-Pat

edit:

*PS- using the eval of version 8.6 as of now

looking at the "Using Custom Controls" example VI the deck of cards is exactly what I'm looking for, except I want gifs of a knob sitting at all sorts of angles instead of the individual cards. I notice that when I go to customize this control and "show parts window" it treats the whole deck of cards as a "Ring Picture"... so as of now I'm just trying to figure out how to edit the set of images in the ring picture set....

thanks again for any info

-pat

Is there a reason your just customizing one of the built in knobs?

What your proposing should be trivial, but quite time consuming. Try posting what you've done so far and maybe someon here could explain why its not working the way you expect. (e.g. perhaps you angle is in radians and not degrees or something.)

QUOTE (jdunham @ May 18 2009, 11:28 AM)

If you right-click on the pict ring you can import pictures from your clipboard.

Ah, I see (said the blind man), so I don't even need the controls editor...

I guess that was a poor assumption.

Dan- I will try and get the indicator done and post it up to at least show you guys what I'm after- right now I'm trying to fogire out the sizing of the gifs and the ring control...

thanks much guys

-Pat