Alfa Oddness

I wanted to make this post for two reasons. First I've never posted a new topic in the LAVA Lounge. And secondly I wanted to warn any new comers to LAVA that you may see some odd posts from a member (who is not a bot) by the name of Alfa.

When I first came to LAVA I was very frustrated by the posts that Alfa made, always off the wall, odd and usually not on topic. To add to my frustration he rarly addresses any questions that other members ask him in a reply to his post. And if he does it may change topics drastically.

If you've been a member of LAVA for a while you know to take Alfa posts with a grain of salt, but I wondered how people reacted to Alfa when he first arrived at LAVA.

Alfa came to LAVA with LabVIEW related topics, as you can see in this topic Calling a DLL Alfa asks a question regarding calling a DLL. This is in March of 2005. Some time between March and December Alfa moved away from talking about LabVIEW and started talking about his book in this post The Book Ever since then his posts seem to be related to the topics of religion, math, and inteligence. These are the topics surrounding his two books.

A few examples of odd Alfa posts can be found in the following threads

http://forums.lavag.org/The-Aether-t6206.html

So new comers beware. As stated earlier, take Alfa posts with a grain of salt. If you have a comment to make related to an Alfa post feel free to reply. Just try not to get angry or frustrated by his posts.

there is a little devil sitting on my shoulder and whispering in my ear:

Alfa is not an individual, it's a group of scientist (psychologists ?) who do some practical research how a social group of more or less intelligent individuals is responding to absolute nonsense input in their Internet "living-room" => we are somewhat like their "test animals"

:wacko:

but who knows?

I recently went to jury duty, and while I was there it crossed my mind that that environment would make for a great social experiment. A group of individuals, presumably none of whom have met one another before that day, are placed in a small room, with nothing to do but wait. We were given magazines, coffee, and tv, but I thought that a good experiment would be to give nothing for them to do just wait, and see how they interact with one another, and to see what they do to pass the time.

We waited around till 1 and they sent me home, easiest $12.90 I've ever made.

QUOTE (i2dx @ Jun 8 2009, 12:59 PM)

... it's a group of scientist (psychologists ?) who do some practical research how a social group of more or less intelligent individuals is responding to absolute nonsense ...

Only a government "think" tank or senate subcommittee could come up with that much nonsense. :throwpc:

QUOTE (PaulG. @ Jun 8 2009, 08:54 PM)

Only a government "think" tank or senate subcommittee could come up with that much nonsense. :throwpc:

But these institutions certainly exists and actually do such 'nonsense'.

Another explanation actually would be some kind of burn-out.

BTW: If anyone want to look deeper into this, it might be that 'alfa' also appeared on the ni forum. But the postings that come into my mind were reading a bit 'bot-like'. To get the search going, the conceüpt of one posting was 'if you program an OS in LV, you won't have any virus problems' before getting to insane to read (I'm a bit weak on following pure text based concepts).

Felix

QUOTE (i2dx @ Jun 8 2009, 06:59 PM)

there is a little devil sitting on my shoulder and whispering in my ear:

Alfa is not an individual, it's a group of scientist (psychologists ?) who do some practical research how a social group of more or less intelligent individuals is responding to absolute nonsense input in their Internet "living-room" => we are somewhat like their "test animals"

:wacko:

but who knows?

Experienced that on another internet site. Somebody posting the most insanely stupid things, refusing to take ANY advice while constantly whining about how his life sucked. Got banned eventually, but only after lots of people offered some heart-felt advice.

The post that broke the camel's back was the idea of stealing LIVE power lines to sell the copper........

Shane.

QUOTE (hooovahh @ Jun 8 2009, 10:02 PM)

If we're talking social experiments, checkout http://improveverywhere.com/ Their more of a harmless prank site, but I think it says more about how the people interacting react.

Here's a few

Best Buy

The Moebius

Frozen Grand Central

High Five Escalator

Great stuff, I'll stop programming for now and get some real people together and do some real things.

I'll write some update when I'm done/out of jail. ;) Did that kind of stuff half my life and thanks for the inspiration, I'm on the road again...

Felix