New content list does not include user's own posts?

It appears that when I click "View New Content", the list that gets displayed is all the posts that have been made to LAVA NOT including my own posts. Although I can imagine someone thinking this is a good feature, for me it means I have to know where in the "new content" list to stop reading. My posts being in that list are a good indication that everything prior to that point is stuff I have already read/skimmed.

The old version kept threads you've already read in the list but removed the "new posts" icon you had next to them.

The new version removes every thread you've already read (which includes your own posts, obviously) from the list since, as Michael says, it's no longer "new". I haven't decided if this is better yet, but I did already get used to it.

Personally, I have no problem with it, because I always open the links in a new tab and I know where I got to. If you couple this with marking the boards as read at the end (which now hides at the bottom of the page), the list is kept clean.

Your explanation makes no sense to me. I'm not following. If you've already read/skimmed it then it won't be in the New Content list. New content, means stuff you haven't read yet.

Mike,

Is there a way to optionally revert back to the old behavior where read content stays in the View New Content page? I personally will read/skim new content and then plan to go back and answer some questions, but it becomes difficult to find those posts when they disappear from that page.

Thanks,

Christian

I think I actually like the new behavior better, as I find that it makes my common usage easier.

The main forums page has a link to show today's activity near the bottom, which should cover the non-common use cases. I think that link just needs to be more prominent.

If you can return to the old behavior, I would prefer if this was a user setting.

i like the new behaviour too. As i keep reading posts in order its nice that whenever i click the 'view new content' link it directly shows the list from the first unread.

The earlier behaviour was a bit annoying as i would have to manually scroll to the first unread post each time i come to the new posts page.

• 2 weeks later...

I only see 5 posts in the recently added topics, and I didn't find a way to customize it or few a complete list. I guess I will miss a lot of discussions I'd be interested in, when I'm of site for some days.

I also liked the 'old way', because I could see the post I was last reading the forum (same works on ni-forum for me).

Felix

I'm curious what you mean by the "old way". What were you doing in the old site to see what you wanted. I want to make sure a feature didn't get removed.

Every morning while I'm waiting for my daily dose of liquid caffeine to kick in, I read LAVA. I always go to the "View Unread Content" first. The way this used to work was that I would skim thru all the posts to see if there was anyone I could help (no, really, it does happen on occasion) and then go back and look more closely at the ones that interested me for whatever reason. I can't do this anymore, since those posts disappear from the "View Unread Content" page as soon as I read them. And the odds are pretty darn good I didn't bother to look at what forum the post came from, so I then have to go search for it. This is made even more dificult if there are multiple posts I want to go back to. In LAVA 1.0 the posts would have just been marked as read making them very easy to find.

Ok, found the Unread Content. That's what I was looking for.

But I want to join Cat in asking for the read content marked as read as well. For me, that also sets the mark where I was starting the reading last time. Now I need to go as far as to remember a post that I was not intersted in to stop browsing.

Felix

My solution to this has been to scan the "View Unread Content" list and instead of clicking on a topic directly, I use "Open in new tab" for a topic that interests me. I don't close the "View Unread Content" page nor do I refresh it until I've cherry picked from it all the topics that catch my attention.

My solution to this has been to scan the "View Unread Content" list and instead of clicking on a topic directly, I use "Open in new tab" for a topic that interests me. I don't close the "View Unread Content" page nor do I refresh it until I've cherry picked from it all the topics that catch my attention.

Wow, NI lets you use a browser with tabs?!?

Unfortunately Big Brother has us stuck back in the pre-tabs IE6 era. And no, I'm not allowed to upgrade, or put another browser on my computer. I suppose I could open up a bunch of windows for all the posts. I generally try to keep window count low, tho -- I'm just anal-retentive that way.

But, I was really responding to Mike's question about how the functionality of "View Unread Content" had changed between LAVA 1.0 and 2.0. If it can't be "fixed" (or if the majority of the community doesn't want it to be) I'm sure I'll learn to work with it.

There's a new feature just added (not by me, by latest upgrade):

post-2-124785546825_thumb.png

The second feature there is great. The forums style view of the list has been annoying me and this makes the behavior the same as it was in the old site.

Actually, regarding the second option, it has two problems:

The first is that the terms it uses are technically correct, but the "forums style" is the one which is actually more like a list.

But that's just a semantic issue. The bigger problem is that in the forums style view, you don't get the alternating colors for each line. I think this is a bug.