RSS Threads

I keep getting the entirety of a thread whenever someone adds to the topic in my RSS reader. For instance, Jarimatti Valkonen posted to "Lurker Roll Call" on 7/15/09 at 12:15PM. Instead of seeing that one post, I got all 93 posts in the RSS. For small threads, this isn't so bad. But for large ones like this (and Heaven forbid the Alpha String :throwpc: ) it is kind of a pain.

I am using Outlook 2007 on Windows XP as my RSS reader.

Edited by crossrulz
I keep getting the entirety of a thread whenever someone adds to the topic in my RSS reader.

I hate to say it, but this is something you're going to have to live with, well only for a little while. My best guess is that when anyone replys first to a thread from LAVA 1.0 content, then the whole thread will come down. Subsequent replies to that thread shouldn't have this issue.

My best guess is that when anyone replys first to a thread from LAVA 1.0 content, then the whole thread will come down. Subsequent replies to that thread shouldn't have this issue.

That was my guess in the beginning as well, but since then I have seen a few threads show up in their entirety in my RSS feed when a new reply is posted to the thread. These are not LAVA 1.0 threads - they are LAVA 2.0 threads that I had already read and deleted. I'm not sure what triggers them to be reposted - it does not happen to all of them - but there is something going on.

EDIT: Just to illustrate this, the fact that I posted this reply triggered the entire thread to be reposted to my rss feed. Since I hadn't deleted the old posts yet, they showed up twice.

post-8758-124810896548_thumb.png

I'm not sure what triggers them to be reposted - it does not happen to all of them - but there is something going on.

Do you have Outlook SP1? Looks like the previous version had this issue:

from here:

Outlook 2007 SP1 also improves the RSS feature. Microsoft stated that the number one customer complaint with RSS was that it downloaded duplicate items.

This seems to mostly be an issue when you're using both exchange server and RSS feeds.

Do you have Outlook SP1? Looks like the previous version had this issue:

from here:

This seems to mostly be an issue when you're using both exchange server and RSS feeds.

I am using Outlook 2007 SP2 through an exchange server. I have about 10 rss feeds that I follow and none of the others have this issue. Also, I never saw this with LAVA 1.0.

If I'm the only one seeing this then I might be tempted to believe it's on my end, but for now it still feels like something might be askew on that end. Anyone else noticing this strange behavior?

Edit: I was just looking at the release notes for Outlook 2007 SP2 and they also mention fixing duplicate items in RSS feeds. There SP1 "fix" must not have worked. Perhaps the SP2 fix needs some more work as well?

The issue is complicated because the answer is what crelf said at the beginning. It's only new LAVA 1.0 threads that someone replies to for the first time. However, on Saturday IPS staff did an update on one of the files that triggered another bug which cause all of the posts to appear "new". So this has started the cycle again. Sorry. Just delete your RSS and start over again, or just mark them all read. This will get ironed out in the long term.

The issue is complicated because the answer is what crelf said at the beginning. It's only new LAVA 1.0 threads that someone replies to for the first time. However, on Saturday IPS staff did an update on one of the files that triggered another bug which cause all of the posts to appear "new". So this has started the cycle again. Sorry. Just delete your RSS and start over again, or just mark them all read. This will get ironed out in the long term.

Thanks! On a side note - I just noticed the new Category tags in the RSS feeds. Awesome!!! That's something I've wanted for a long time.

There's also a link to reply directly to the post.

I like that as well. :thumbup1:

The only thing I think is still missing is some way to identify when a quote ends and the reply begins. Some people (AQ ;) ) like to remove all the white space when they reply to a post. This looks nicer when viewing online, but it makes it more difficult to read in RSS.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm still seeing this and it seems to be getting worse. Is anyone else still having this issue? I'm deleting the same thread 4 or 5 times a day sometimes. Anytime someone posts to a thread I get the entire thread in my RSS feed. I've tried deleting and re-creating the feed, but that didn't help. This is with new (LAVA 2.0) and old (1.0) threads.

I'm still seeing this and it seems to be getting worse. Is anyone else still having this issue? I'm deleting the same thread 4 or 5 times a day sometimes. Anytime someone posts to a thread I get the entire thread in my RSS feed. I've tried deleting and re-creating the feed, but that didn't help. This is with new (LAVA 2.0) and old (1.0) threads.

Yes this issue is still present because those threads are probably being moved from the 1.0 forum to the 2.0 forum and somebody replied to it. It's not getting worse, it just depends on the number of old topics that have new replies. Once the full thread is received in your reader once, you should only see the new replies from then on, not the old ones anymore. I use Google reader and this is the behavior I see.

Yes this issue is still present because those threads are probably being moved from the 1.0 forum to the 2.0 forum and somebody replied to it. It's not getting worse, it just depends on the number of old topics that have new replies. Once the full thread is received in your reader once, you should only see the new replies from then on, not the old ones anymore. I use Google reader and this is the behavior I see.

For me, it seems to rear it's ugly head daily. If a new post comes in on day 1, I get the entire thread. If someone else posts on the same thread on the same day (after I went through and deleted), only that one post shows up. Next day, new post will cause the entire thread again. Doesn't matter if it is Lava 1.0 or Lava 2.0 threads.

I wonder if this is an outlook issue. As I said, not happening for me in Google Reader. Does deleting the item from outlook signal to outlook that it should retrieve it again next time? Doesn't make sense. RSS is just an updated XML file. It doesn't have a cache or any smarts. It just has the latest content.

I'd like to see the XML file you are linking to with evidence that it contains duplicate entries.

For me, it seems to rear it's ugly head daily. If a new post comes in on day 1, I get the entire thread. If someone else posts on the same thread on the same day (after I went through and deleted), only that one post shows up. Next day, new post will cause the entire thread again. Doesn't matter if it is Lava 1.0 or Lava 2.0 threads.

This is more like the behavior I'm seeing.

I wonder if this is an outlook issue. As I said, not happening for me in Google Reader. Does deleting the item from outlook signal to outlook that it should retrieve it again next time? Doesn't make sense. RSS is just an updated XML file. It doesn't have a cache or any smarts. It just has the latest content.

I'd like to see the XML file you are linking to with evidence that it contains duplicate entries.

I'm pulling in many other feeds with Outlook and none of them exhibit this behavior. LAVA 1.0 always worked fine as well.

I think this is my XML file...Had to zip it to allow the post. As an example, you can see that this entire thread shows up in here.

1-lava-forums.zip

I'm still seeing this and it seems to be getting worse. Is anyone else still having this issue?

You're right - it seems to have nothing to do with whether the thread originated in LAVA 1.0 or LAVA 2.0, nor whether you've seen (and subsequently deleted) posts in the thread before. Plain and simple: it's an Outlook RSS reader issue. It might be that it doesn't reconise the tags in the IPB RSS feeds properly, but I don't think there's anythign we can do about it.

I suggest you switch to receiving email notifications and setting up a rule (in outlook 2007 go to Tools>Rules and Alerts) that moves incoming LAVA posts to a folder (like the RSS folder). I'm not sure what you would use to make the decision on - it's possible that we could add a tag to the start of the subject line, but I don't know what that would take.

Now that's interesting - I was getting my feed from http://lavag.org/index.php?app=core&module=global&section=rss&type=forums&id=1

I have tried both URLs and they both exhibit the same behavior. I may have to switch to a different reader, but I really like the way Outlook handles RSS. It has much better sorting options than anything else I've tried and I always have outlook open anyway so it is one less app that I have to run.

And once again it happenend, the 5th dimension flooded the RSS thread with 200 posts (I think the maximum length of the RSS feed, only showing the first 200.

Then afterwards I got a new semi-fresh RSS thread with the latest 200 posts, including posts I have allready marked as read.

Here's the source URL:

http://lavag.org/index.php?app=core&module=global&section=rss&type=forums&id=1

Using Newsfox in Firefox

Ton