trouble with subpanels

I am having a problem with subpanels. I want to be able to do the following:

Have a main panel that includes the Subpanel.

Load a vi into the Subpanel note that the vi may not be known until runtime but for proof of concept I hard coded a path. the problem is that it works in the developement environment but not when built into an EXE i keep getting error 1003 stating that the vi is broken or that some subvi's are missing, the subvi that is being loaded into the panel only has a while loop, stop button, and a button that displays the express vi display message to user. Ultimately i would like to be able to have a generic upper level vi and be able to load any vi that is on the machine in to it.

I have looked around and I am implementing the design idea that crelf posted about subpanels, although i cannot find the link at the moment.

Any suggestions

Joe

Edited by jhoskins

When you load a subpanel dynamically, you need to add the VI to the build manually, if it's not otherwise loaded as part of your executable.

In the build specifications, add your subpanel VI un the "Source File/Always Included" section. Then LabVIEW is going to build your EXE with all subvis for this subpanel.

• Like 1

I am having a problem with subpanels. I want to be able to do the following:

Have a main panel that includes the Subpanel.

Load a vi into the Subpanel note that the vi may not be known until runtime but for proof of concept I hard coded a path. the problem is that it works in the developement environment but not when built into an EXE i keep getting error 1003 stating that the vi is broken or that some subvi's are missing, the subvi that is being loaded into the panel only has a while loop, stop button, and a button that displays the express vi display message to user. Ultimately i would like to be able to have a generic upper level vi and be able to load any vi that is on the machine in to it.

I have looked around and I am implementing the design idea that crelf posted about subpanels, although i cannot find the link at the moment.

Any suggestions

Joe

Hi,

I think this is referred to as "plugins architecture", here is a page on LabVIEW Wiki that you could help you.

I have other old links (LAVA 1.0) about plugins architecture in LabVIEW but I don't know how to find then again.. LAVA search doesn't like my search tokkens :(

old links :

- Calling an external LabVIEW VI from an EXE : http://forums.lavag....-EXE-t3161.html

- Plugin architecture as exe in 7.1 : http://forums.lavag....2149#entry62149

- Plugin architectures... : http://forums.lavag....res-t14113.html

Hope this can hel

EDIT :

google cache is your friend :

- Calling an external LabVIEW VI from an EXE

RE-EDIT :

Calling an external LabVIEW VI from an EXE on LAVA

to find it I had to get the date of the last post from google cache and then I went on LAVA 1.0 content and search by date.. that's ridiculous.. the search engine REALLY sucks!

Does anyone know how to do a real plugin style archetecture with LV.

Here is an example based on code posted by crelf a few days ago and on JKI state machine.

It only works in exe (mainly because I just wanted to play with plugins and also because I'm lazy).

- start the exe,

- open the lvproj,

- create a new PrefPanel plugins from the template (*.vit),

- save it in the plugins sources folder,

- duplicate on the the existing Source Distribution build spec and modify it to use your pref panel VI,

- build it you plugins

- go back to the running exe, hit "home" and your new pref panel should be added in the list.

Please ask questions, give feedback, propose improvements :)

EDIT: just added the possibility to work as source code

plugin concept.zip

• Like 1