Change Default Save Name

Hi

Does anyone know how to change the default save name of a VI.

E.g. you open a new VI, click Save, and the default name that appears in the file dialog is usually Untitled X (or Read/Write Data Member for a class).

I don't want to save the VI to disk, I just want to change the default save name so I don't have to edit it as much.

I tried writing to the VI Name property and changing the appearance name but it did not work.

I can't find anything on this searching.

Does anyone one know how to? A private property (scripting) would be fine too.

Cheers

JG

Does anyone know how to change the default save name of a VI.

E.g. you open a new VI, click Save, and the default name that appears in the file dialog is usually Untitled X (or Read/Write Data Member for a class).

I don't want to save the VI to disk, I just want to change the default save name so I don't have to edit it as much.

Hey Mate

LabVIEW executes callback vi's on certain events, take a look at this article on OpenG.org

You could possibly edit the lv_new_vi.vi that is called when you select New VI so your new vi isn't called Untitled X.vi

I haven't played with this but sounds like the way to go.

• Like 1

Hey Mate

LabVIEW executes callback vi's on certain events, take a look at this article on OpenG.org

You could possibly edit the lv_new_vi.vi that is called when you select New VI so your new vi isn't called Untitled X.vi

I haven't played with this but sounds like the way to go.

Cheers Kurt!

I will take a look - at the moment though it will be for instantiated LVOOP methods - from the existing options create: dynamic, static, data member etc...

Cheers Kurt!

I will take a look - at the moment though it will be for instantiated LVOOP methods - from the existing options create: dynamic, static, data member etc...

If you want to do something with scripting, here's an example you can modify and put in <LabVIEW 8.6/project> directory. (Make it "Run when opened" first). It scans a project hierarchy to find all VIs named "Untitled X", changes the temporary name to your liking and opens the Save As UI. Select in "Tools" menu to activate. Your problem won't go away since you'll still need to run this tool everytime you want to save: which is longer? Changing the name or selecting from tools' menu? Anyway, it's fun to script :wub: . Give it a shot!

SaveAs_Untitled.vi

• Like 1

Your problem won't go away since you'll still need to run this tool everytime you want to save: which is longer? Changing the name or selecting from tools' menu? Anyway, it's fun to script :wub: . Give it a shot!

* You bloody little ripper (aussie slang for thank you) *

And the answer is.... "cut and paste your code!" :P

I cannot even see scripting methods!?!

I cut and pasted it into my new tool which is for a Right Click Framework package.

And it was perfect - exactly what I was after.

And yes scripting is fun and (very) addictive!! Thanks for posting Kurt & François. :)