LabVIEW 2009 Features

I love my media center and media extender!

Damn straight!

I got the PS3 connected to the server via wifi running some open source software to browse my media.

I don't think I could live without it. That and torrents of course!

:wub:

The only problem is that the router is on my desk and it jiggers with my wireless mouse.

This is a problem when my misses is watching stuff and I am trying to LabVIEW :(

I don't think I could live without it. That and torrents of course![/qupte]

What's a "torrent"?

The only problem is that the router is on my desk and it jiggers with my wireless mouse. This is a problem when my misses is watching stuff and I am trying to LabVIEW sad.gif

:D Thou shalt not progam LabVIEW wilst the missus is watching TV.

Why? You just use the SEQ directly to store the data itself. DVRs don't offer anything you couldn't do with a SEQ. They do offer better guarantee of inplaceness and less chances of causing deadlocks, but the functionality is the same as you would get with a SEQ (except you can obtain a SEQ by name and preview its data, which you can't with a DVR).

What I meant is if you wish to 'hide' the SEQ implementation in a generic set of VIs that can be reused and simulate dynamic memory access, then you must use a variant as the queue data type. This is because you do not know the data type of the element you wish to store until you use these VIs in a program. And you cannot make this polymorphic because you will likely want to use a complex typedef'ed data type. Therefore you must cast the data you get from the SEQ to the specific datatype for you implementation.

As for your other question, DVRs are also typed, just like queues and notifiers.

If this is true, then yes, DVR offer no advantage since their reference carries the specific datatype of the data stored within the DVR reference wire. This is too bad because it means they really are not pointers. A pointer does not (and should not) know what it points to!

At least they are a bit cleaner than SEQs but I guess they offer no new functionality after all. Bummer. :(

Why? You just use the SEQ directly to store the data itself. DVRs don't offer anything you couldn't do with a SEQ. They do offer better guarantee of inplaceness and less chances of causing deadlocks, but the functionality is the same as you would get with a SEQ (except you can obtain a SEQ by name and preview its data, which you can't with a DVR).

As for your other question, DVRs are also typed, just like queues and notifiers.

Thanks! My sentiments exactly, you just beat me to the reply! :thumbup1:

I wouldn't count on it. NI already has enough named ref-based options to deduce that if they didn't add it to this feature, they did that (or should that be "they didn't do that"? blink.gif ) deliberately.

The most obvious reason for such a decision is that it would make creating deadlocks too easy. Today, to create a deadlock using a single DVR, you need to bring it over the boundary of a structure where you're using it or pass it inside using a non-dataflow means of communication (local, global, etc.).

If you had named DVRs, you might be tempted to encapsulate the Obtain DVR code in specific VIs and then call them one inside another, ultimately leading to deadlocks without the ability to see where they came from.

I specifically heard at NIWeek that we could get DVR now with out names, or wait for a later release to get DVR and the names. I am glad we have DVR now and will patiently wait for the names.

And I want this flexibility, even if someone may make a mess of it in their code.

BTW - I don't TIVO, or DVR - I Hulu :worshippy:

ame='jgcode' date='16 August 2009 - 05:33 AM' timestamp='1250397189' post='64255']I don't think I could live without it. That and torrents of course![/qupte]

What's a "torrent"?

:D Thou shalt not progam LabVIEW wilst the missus is watching TV.

But cans't thou post to LAVA while the Missus is watching TV?

I think everyone's missing the point of the DVR. The biggest benefit of the DVR, IMO, is the ability to use the IPE (In Place Element) structure to read write data. Using the structure provides exclusive lock to the data access AND eliminates copies. Doing this with a SEQ (Single element queue) is a PITA and requires a whole bunch of lock and unlock code. On top of that you create extra data copies when you read the queue element.

Data Value Reference Read / Write Element Border Node

• Like 1

I think everyone's missing the point of the DVR. The biggest benefit of the DVR, IMO, is the ability to use the IPE (In Place Element) structure to read write data. Using the structure provides exclusive lock to the data access AND eliminates copies. Doing this with a SEQ (Single element queue) is a PITA and requires a whole bunch of lock and unlock code. On top of that you create extra data copies when you read the queue element.

Data Value Reference Read / Write Element Border Node

I was thinking PITA was some technical software engineering term, but I quickly realised you mean pass in the *ss.

I did not know a data copy is made with a SEQ on a read! Thanks for the info.

Free media :) from the net - as in bit-torrent

I'm pretty sure crelf was being facetious. There is a rumor that on more than one occasion our IT guy has throttled crelfs network because of torrents. I'm sure he was just downloading some large linux distro, and not any copyright protected video content.

There is a rumor that on more than one occasion our IT guy has throttled crelfs network because of torrents. I'm sure he was just downloading some large linux distro, and not any copyright protected video content.

Yeah, linux distro, that's what it was, sure...

But cans't thou post to LAVA while the Missus is watching TV?

I say "Yay"!

I'm pretty sure crelf was being facetious. There is a rumor that on more than one occasion our IT guy has throttled crelfs network because of torrents. I'm sure he was just downloading some large linux distro, and not any copyright protected video content.

Come-on, you can't expect me to be up on inside VI Engineering jokes! :ph34r:

I did think it was weird - I thought maybe the term was lost in translation form over here to there! :lol:

Maybe crelf was just madly posting to LAVA... worshippy.gif