Using unnamed strict-typedef clusters.

There is a new feature in lv7 that auto-relinks the item names in the bundle by name node if you rename the objects in the cluster. I wonder if this is the culprit. In any case this is what happens. You can create a strict-typedef cluster and leave it unnamed. This is fine because you can assign a name to it when you actually use it. In my case, I use typedef clusters inside other typedef clusters. When I place it, I label it.

The fun starts when you decide to disconnect the typedef cluster. When this happens, LV tries to use the original name given in the typedef. Of course since this does not exist, it shows up as a blank entry in the bundle by name. If you try to relink it, you can't, because empty names simply don't exist in the pull-down list.

Now why would you want to disconnect the typdef, you ask? Well, you may not want to but the application builder shure as hell wants to! it breaks all the links to the typdefs and uses plain controls. Once it tries to do this it finds a whole bunch of bundle (and unbundle) by name nodes that it can't resolve.

I've attached an image of the solution that uses a plain bundle. Also and image of what happens when you disconnect a typedefed object. I've also attached a toplevel.vi that you can try to build into an application. If you open the built app, you will se that the vi is broken.

subbundlebug.gif

Download File:post-16-1073112613.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

With the release of LV7.1 we see something added to the Application builder that was previously only settable via an ini setting. Previously (LV7.0), the workaround to the bug listed in this posting was to add the following to your LabVIEW.ini file:

BldApp.RemovePolyVIsandTypedefs=False

Disconnect type definitions and remove unused polymorphic VI instances