Probe Watch Window usability issue

I imagined you imagining a NI employee randomly reading LAVA and being like "Oh I knew I forgot something" and frantically writing code and then you writing a post about it -- crazy.

I imagined you imagining hooovahh imagining a NI employee...wait...this is getting out of hand :wacko:

C'mon, do you guys at VIE have nothing better to do than read LAVA and imagine stuff all day? I guess we need to get crelf to give you more stuff to do. shifty.gif

We don't have engineers at V I Engineering, Inc. - we have imagineers smiley_mickey.gif

Maybe we should rename the company to "V I Imagineering, Inc."

Pop quiz: what does the "V" and "I" stand for in "V I Engineering"? (VIE employees are exempt from participating in this quiz).

We don't have engineers at V I Engineering, Inc. - we have imagineers smiley_mickey.gif

Pop quiz: what does the "V" and "I" stand for in "V I Engineering"? (VIE employees are exempt from participating in this quiz).

Vociferously Incoherent?

Vehemently Intractable?

Veritably Incredulous?

Vaguely Interesting?

6?

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

This reminds me of my favorite Futurama joke, from the second episode of the series. Fry (a guy who was frozen for 1000 years) flies into space for the first time and is taken on a tour of the moon.

Announcer:
Nobody knows where, when or how Man first landed on the moon...

Fry:
I DO!

Announcer:
... but our
fun
gineers think it must have happened something like this:

[silly show comes on]

Fry:
That's not how it happened!

Leela:
Oh yeah? I don't see YOU with a fungineering degree.

Pop quiz: what does the "V" and "I" stand for in "V I Engineering"?

Having watched part of the video Chris uploaded from NIWeek I can agree with Scott.

6?

I am not a number. I am a free man!

Bet you wish you hadn't asked now...lol

I was expecting the "Virtual Instrument", and was prepared to subsequently slap whoever suggested that (I'm coming for you Philip Brooks!), but I sure didn't expect some of the other suggestions... biggrin.gif

This reminds me of my favorite Futurama joke...

Man I love that show!

6?

Ha! Actually, our HQ in Michigan is right next to the City of Novi. It's on a trainline from Detroit, and it used to be the 6th stop from grand central, so the platform was labelled "No. VI" - sure enough, it's been known as Novi ever since biggrin.gif

PS: Novi is pronounced "no-vigh", not "no-vee" as I pronounced it to the cab driver at Detroit International Airport when we arrived here just over four years ago tongue.gif

PPS: There's a really good steakhouse in Novi called "The Number Six", although the sign just says "NoVI". I suppose that'd make it the NoVI of Novi... Seriously - if you get a chance - great steaks. Not quite Ruth's Chris, but pretty damn close.

Your new best friend in 2009.1:

openProbesInOwnWindows=True

As with all NI features that haven't shipped, I'm not promising anything, but we've been listening and the developer that owns the probe watch window has added the ini token.

-Brady

Back on topic :P

Just downloaded and installed 2009.F2.

Doesn't work .....bugger :throwpc:

Edited by ShaunR

Wow quite a tangent we went on, sorry I showed up to the party late.

I love Futurama too, which is why I'm excited for the new season that Comedy Central said they would pick up in mid 2010.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futurama#Revival

The movies were pretty good, but I kinda like them broken up into the 30 minute shows I'm use to. It's difficult to go from a show that just has to fill 30 minutes with jokes, to a 90 minute movie. Family Guy, and The Simpsons had this problem, and each did pretty well but I don't think either did as well as it's creators would have hoped with the following each has.

Just downloaded and installed 2009.F2.

Doesn't work .....bugger throwpc.gif

Why would it? This is a patch, made to fix relatively urgent bugs. If NI's schedule of recent years is indicative (and it should be, according to NI) you can probably expect the minor release around January or February.

It's difficult to go from a show that just has to fill 30 minutes with jokes, to a 90 minute movie.

I know what you're saying. Futurama didn't really pass that test very well. Personally, I don't like either of the other series (I always thought Futurama was more intelligent more funny), so I can't comment on them.

Why would it? This is a patch, made to fix relatively urgent bugs. If NI's schedule of recent years is indicative (and it should be, according to NI) you can probably expect the minor release around January or February.

Don't see why it couldn't have been included. They realesed F1 just to fix 1 minor bug that very few people would have suffered from. I've actually given up using probes now and just create indicators on the front panel 'cos its such a pain.

Edited by ShaunR

Don't see why it couldn't have been included. They realesed F1 just to fix 1 minor bug that very few people would have suffered from. I've actually given up using probes now and just create indicators on the front panel 'cos its such a pain.

This is not really a bug, but a usability issue. Patches traditionally fix critical bugs. I'm happy that they're addressing the issue. Just be patient.

I was expecting the "Virtual Instrument", and was prepared to subsequently slap whoever suggested that (I'm coming for you Philip Brooks!), but I sure didn't expect some of the other suggestions... biggrin.gif

Give me a break. Your company uses LabVIEW and has VI in their name. If it doesn't stand for Virtual Instrumentation then anything else is just something you tell people who don't know what LabVIEW is.

If it doesn't stand for Virtual Instrumentation then anything else is just something you tell people who don't know what LabVIEW is.

Pfffft. We were named "V I Engineering" before we started using LabVIEW tongue.gif

It obviously refers to vi.

Ugh. I'm working on a project at the moment that has me editing text files on a UUT that's essentially a qnix box. Unfortunately, vi is the only text editor on it sad.gif

• 1 month later...

I personally quite like the probe watch window and find it useful as long as I ensure my probes are in the same sequence as my operations. However, if I realise that I want to check something else at a later stage there seems to be no way to rearrange the order of probes in the window. Anyone found a way to do this without closing all the probes and redoing all of them?