Hi

I don’t know where to look for my question so any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I was wondering if it is possible to interact with the WLAN chip of your Laptop/PC through labview so you can transmit/receive your data straight from labview to the WLAN transiever (802.11) to outside world and vice versa.

Thanks,

I have my joystick connected to the labview and wanted to transmit the joystick data (Axes info) using the WLAN chip. So then I can recieve it through another WLAN chip which is connected to a FPGA microcontroller. Is it possible ?

Edited by Cyrus

I have my joystick connected to the labview and wanted to transmit the joystick data (Axes info) using the WLAN chip. So then I can recieve it through another WLAN chip which is connected to a FPGA microcontroller. Is it possible ?

If both sides are using basic TCP sockets than yes, it is possible. One side would have to be a TCP server and listen for connections on a specific port. The other side would be the client and establish a connection to the server. Once the connection is establish you simply send the data. Alternatively if you want less overhead and are not concerned if the data doesn't get delivered (which on a small LAN is not very likely to happen) you can use UDP. You still need a server and a client but there is less overhead when sending the data.

There are examples of simple client/server communications in the LabVIEW examples.

NOTE: I admit that I am not very familiar with the FPGA LabVIEW code but I am fairly sure they support the native TCP and UDP operations.

• 2 weeks later...

NOTE: I admit that I am not very familiar with the FPGA LabVIEW code but I am fairly sure they support the native TCP and UDP operations.

That would be a new feature then! Implementing a usable IP socket in hardware is anything but trivial and would easily eat up all your resources so there would be nothing left to do anything useful. The real time controller in the cRIO controller however implements a TCP/IP socket (obviously) so you could connect with that and have it pass the data by other means to the FPGA core.

Rolf Kalbermatter

That would be a new feature then! Implementing a usable IP socket in hardware is anything but trivial and would easily eat up all your resources so there would be nothing left to do anything useful. The real time controller in the cRIO controller however implements a TCP/IP socket (obviously) so you could connect with that and have it pass the data by other means to the FPGA core.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Ah, that sounds reasonable. Too bad though.