Blinking controls and SubPanels not compatible

There is a bug in LV7.0. If you make a control Blinking (set its Blinking property to TRUE), and then place the VI in a subpanel control, the blinking will not be seen except sporadically.

I built one VI (Master.vi), which if you open and run, the blinking works fine. Then someone pointed out that it was silly to put the Insert VI method call inside the while loop. So I rewrote it (Master2.vi) and the blinking stopped working.

It seems (my best guess) the subpanel only updates its draw state during a value change event or when a drawable property is changed. Since with blinking, no value is changed and the property is the same (Blinking == TRUE, regardless of whether the blink is currently on or off), no redraw event is going to the subVI. In Master2.vi, if you just click and hold down the increment button on the VI, the blinking will appear as the data change events fire.

I have filed this bug with the right people here at NI.

-- Stephen Mercer

LabVIEW R&D

Download File:post-16-1073112774.llb

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
There is a bug in LV7.0. If you make a control Blinking (set its Blinking property to TRUE), and then place the VI in a subpanel control, the blinking will not be seen except sporadically.

I built one VI (Master.vi), which if you open and run, the blinking works fine. Then someone pointed out that it was silly to put the Insert VI method call inside the while loop. So I rewrote it (Master2.vi) and the blinking stopped working.

It seems (my best guess) the subpanel only updates its draw state during a value change event or when a drawable property is changed. Since with blinking, no value is changed and the property is the same (Blinking == TRUE, regardless of whether the blink is currently on or off), no redraw event is going to the subVI. In Master2.vi, if you just click and hold down the increment button on the VI, the blinking will appear as the data change events fire.

I have filed this bug with the right people here at NI.

-- Stephen Mercer

LabVIEW R&D

Good News, this has been fixed in LV 8.0 :thumbup:

PJM

• 3 months later...