Configure keys in the IDE?

Is there a way to configure arbitrary keys in the IDE? I'm currently on LV2009.

I'm looking to map the wasd keys to the arrow functions, so I have easy access to both the tab key and the ability to fine tune VI/wire placement without moving across the keyboard...

Is there a way to configure arbitrary keys in the IDE?

No. The WASD keys, surprisingly enough, are reserved for typing W, A, S and D.

I can think of four options:

1. Use an external keyboard mapper. The problem - it will be global, which is probably not what you want.
  2. Stop using tab. Switch to the auto-tool. Some people (like me) like it. Others hate it. The recommendation is to force yourself to try to use it for at least a week before giving up. There have been several threads about the various advantages and disadvantages both here and in the NI forums.
  3. Get an external keypad. I doubt this would help you, since you would probably place it on the left side of the keyboard, when you want the keys on the right side of the tab key.
  4. Use a key mapper and map one of the keys near the keypad (e.g. num lock) to the tab key. That way, you can keep your hand on the right side, but you won't have easy access to Ctrl, Shift, etc.

No. The WASD keys, surprisingly enough, are reserved for typing W, A, S and D.

I can think of four options:

1. Use an external keyboard mapper. The problem - it will be global, which is probably not what you want.
  2. Stopusing tab. Switch to the auto-tool. Some people (like me) like it.Others hate it. The recommendation is to force yourself to try to useit for at least a week before giving up. There have been severalthreads about the various advantages and disadvantages both here and inthe NI forums.
  3. Get an external keypad. I doubt this would helpyou, since you would probably place it on the left side of thekeyboard, when you want the keys on the right side of the tab key.
  4. Usea key mapper and map one of the keys near the keypad (e.g. num lock) tothe tab key. That way, you can keep your hand on the right side, butyou won't have easy access to Ctrl, Shift, etc.

Yeah, I use the auto tool, but it's been annoying me lately. It's a love-hate relationship, and currently I'm in the hate part. A few weeks from now...

Key mapping software isn't really a solution, even if you could find a program-aware one. As Yair implied you often need to type the 'wasd' characters for...typing 'wasd' and such. It would be nice that if LabVIEW was context-aware: there are plenty of times where you can't enter text input (such as selecting a VI in a block diagram)where the alphanumeric keys could easily double as other functions.

Edited by mje

One area LV falls well short of other modern dev environments is in cutomizable hotkeys. I'd love to see more flexibility in that area but I have read that the functionality is buried very deep and would be difficult to implement.