multi column listbox

sydney

I have been looking at the MulticolumnListBox properties to get a better feel for what I can do with this component. I can edit a cell using the Edit Position and Allow Editing Cells properties and can see the results by checking the ItemNames property. I cannot figure out what the Active Cell:Active Cell Control is used for in this component as it seems to do nothing at all. Also, no matter if Allow Editing Cells is T or F, I can still edit the cell that is indicated by the values in Edit Position since the Item names array shows the values that I am entering into the MC Listbox: I did not expect that behavior. I also have no clue as to what the Values property is or what it is used for - all I know for sure is that it is an I32 but when I created an indicator from this property I got a duplicate of the original MC Listbox component but this indicator does not reflect any editing changes done to the original MC Listbox component. I have not found documentation that explains these questions so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Sydney

The multicolumn listbox has two different modes - it can either be a scalar and tell you which row the user has selected, or, if you allow the user to select multiple rows - an array of the row indexes that are selected. You switch between these modes by right-clicking on the control and selecting "Selection Mode".

If you write to the value property you can select rows programmatically, if you read it you read the indexes of the rows currently selected.

The active cell is used to choose which cell you will be editing programmatically. If e.g. you want to change the background color of the cell in row 2, column 4 - you create a property node where you first set the active cell to 2,4 - and then (just expand the property node to have another property underneath the active cell property) - write your new color to the background color property...

I suggest you show contect help (Ctrl+H) and hover the mouse over the control and its different properties, the help window will teach you how to use it, much better than we can do here. Check out the examples that come with LV as well, Help->Find Example->Search tab->enter listbox as keyword...or try searching on ni.com.

I have been looking at the MulticolumnListBox properties to get a better feel for what I can do with this component. I can edit a cell using the Edit Position and Allow Editing Cells properties and can see the results by checking the ItemNames property. I cannot figure out what the Active Cell:Active Cell Control is used for in this component as it seems to do nothing at all. Also, no matter if Allow Editing Cells is T or F, I can still edit the cell that is indicated by the values in Edit Position since the Item names array shows the values that I am entering into the MC Listbox: I did not expect that behavior. I also have no clue as to what the Values property is or what it is used for - all I know for sure is that it is an I32 but when I created an indicator from this property I got a duplicate of the original MC Listbox component but this indicator does not reflect any editing changes done to the original MC Listbox component. I have not found documentation that explains these questions so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Sydney

Edited by Mads
  • Like 1

I also have no clue as to what the Values property is or what it is used for - all I know for sure is that it is an I32 but when I created an indicator from this property I got a duplicate of the original MC Listbox component but this indicator does not reflect any editing changes done to the original MC Listbox component.

The I32 is the current value of the listbox - it is its datatype.

E.g. if the 3rd row is selected then the listbox = 2 (as LabVIEW counts from zero).

So if you write 5 to a listbox indicator - the listbox will highlight the 6th row.

• Like 1
  • 6 years later...

No I don't have lots of experiences with Forums. Thank you Hooovahh.

I don't know why asking questions should be mocked mister Jordan Kuehn and thank you for your attitude. 

I thank anybody who support all of us willing to learn more about this passionating language.

I am hier to enjoy it, nothing else.

Edited by I HAVE A DREAM

I don't know why asking questions should be mocked mister Jordan Kuehn and thank you for your attitude. 

Asking questions isn't the problem, there is tons of stuff I don't know about LabVIEW and I've been doing it for some time now, I still ask questions.  The problem is some times we ask questions in the wrong way, and that will either bring out the wrong answer, or the wrong attitude from other members.  I'm sure Jordan didn't mean to mock you, but sending someone a private message for something that is better discussed publicly is something to be avoided.

I'm glad to hear you are passionate about LabVIEW, many of us here are.  This document lives on another LabVIEW forum, but I think many of the points are valid here, feel free to read up on what most communities consider good etiquette

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-40451

I'm sure Jordan didn't mean to mock you, but sending someone a private message for something that is better discussed publicly is something to be avoided.

Correct, no intent to mock, sorry if it came off that way.  It was redundant to message me specifically when your question was being addressed publicly, where others also gain the benefit of an answer.