LV 2009 configuration file VIs "private"

I've lost access to a couple functions in the Configuration File VIs between LV8.6 and LV2009...

In 8.6 we use "Config Data Get File Path.vi" to return the configuration file path from the config file refnum. This VI no longer exists and the equivalent VI in LV2009 is "private" in an lvlib, so I can't use it.

Same goes for "Config Data Write To File.vi", which we use to write data to the file on the disk without closing the config file refnum.

It can be worked around but it's not elegant... grumble grumble..

-James

YES! I poked around ni.com but didn't find any discussions there. Thanks, Chris.

-James

It used to be a great boon that most of labview was written in labview. There were lots of sub vi's installed that found uses outside the original premise. Pretty soon we'll have one vi (call library function) and everything will be a dll call.

Not sure what you're refering to, Shaun. The parts of the LabVIEW environment which are written in LabVIEW are getting bigger, not smaller. Specifically, the config VIs are still written fully in LabVIEW and the code is open source.

What James was complaining about, and what the other thread refers to, is that this code is marked as private, so your VI can't use it directly if it's not a member of the same library. The other thread goes into some detail about why this is so.

It used to be a great boon that most of labview was written in labview. There were lots of sub vi's installed that found uses outside the original premise. Pretty soon we'll have one vi (call library function) and everything will be a dll call.

I seriously doubt it. The percent of LV in LV has gone up substantially with every release since 8.0. The problem is not how much of LV is written in LV, nor even how many VIs can you look at to see how something is done. The question is how many of those VIs can you use in your own code AND expect support for those VIs in the next version of LV. If every VI that ships with LV is one that we have to maintain indefinitely, we'll rapidly stagnate.

We're not talking about password protecting the diagrams or anything. We're talking about making it so that you have to create your own copy of the VIs in order to use them.