Win XPe + HORM

Hi all,

I'd like to know if anyone has ever used WinXP Embedded on a PXI controller, apparently NI is recommending this OS (Running LabVIEW on Windows XP Embedded, What Is Windows XP Embedded and Why Should You Care?, NI-DAQmx Support on Windows XP Embedded) but we can't purchase a PXI controller with WinXPe pre-installed.. this seems a bit surprising to me : "I recommend this, but it's not in my product list"

Anyone can share some experience about LabVIEW + DAQmx running on WinXPe?

One more thing I read about WinXPe SP2, is the HORM "hibernate once, resume many", to boot up quickly in a specific configuration, that looks interesting for an industrial system, anyone ever used it?

Thanks for sharing experience about that :)

Hi all,

I'd like to know if anyone has ever used WinXP Embedded on a PXI controller, apparently NI is recommending this OS (Running LabVIEW on Windows XP Embedded, What Is Windows XP Embedded and Why Should You Care?, NI-DAQmx Support on Windows XP Embedded) but we can't purchase a PXI controller with WinXPe pre-installed.. this seems a bit surprising to me : "I recommend this, but it's not in my product list"

One more thing I read about WinXPe SP2, is the HORM "hibernate once, resume many", to boot up quickly in a specific configuration, that looks interesting for an industrial system, anyone ever used it?

Selling and especially supporting XP embedded on hardware for development is not easy. In fact I think it is almost impossible or you would need a well paid support program from the hardware supplier. XP embedded is not a plug in the CD-ROM, launch setup.exe and voila thing. It is in fact very far from that. If you look for such an experience you are much better of with a standard XP installation.

Using XP embedded means knowing and understanding in detail how you configure a build (yes you configure the components you want to have deployed to your hardware). So it is not like purchasing hardware with a preinstalled XP embedded. XP embedded will be always installed by you, the final assembler of the system) according to the configuration you made in the XP embedded Tools. And what components you will want to install will partly depend on the hardware (where NI would probably get in with a detailed list of what modules are required) but also on your intended use of the system. So NI can not really make that installation for you as they would have to decide between installing anything, basically creating a somewhat leaner XP install, or install whatever they find necessary which would likely leave you with some lack of support for some functions. Also in XP embedded your final application is usually also part of the image that you deploy to the system.

Rolf Kalbermatter

• Like 1

Hi all,

We don't use it on PXI, but we use it on Fanless PC's which we run our final labview apps on. It's been a long time since I had to get the image working and I remember it took me quite a lot of trial and error to find everything I needed. But once you have, you don't have to revisit the process again and you can install things like normal XP.

Why not try it out. You can download XP embedded on trial. Find an old PC no-one wants and give it a whirl.

In a nutshell WinXP Embedded is a subset of the WinXP which you can create using the Embedded Tools available on the microsoft site.

I have tried it and though it gets a little getting used to create the image it does give you a customized image of Windows XP.

I agree Support is a problem if you have various version of the XP image installed. We use it on Fanless PC's with our applications. The level of customization can be such that it is difficult to guess the OS used on the platform is Windows XP and gives a product like feel to the system.

LabVIEW does run on WinXPe SP2 and even DAQmx (I've tried it for M Series and DSA boards). Here's a link to a tutorial on the NI site on how to install LabVIEW on WinXPe.

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4011