Boosting signal level from 0-5V to 0-10V

MarkCG

Hi yall... So I may have to do this in order to get a 0-5V analog out signal up to the 0-10 V input signal required by a variable frequency drive. I was thinking of doing so by means of an  op-amp configured to work as a non-inverting amplifier to increase voltage 2X, then put this through a unity-gain "power buffer" just to make sure the signal gets to were it needs to go (over long wires) without a whole lot of noise and without potentially messing up the op-amp. Should /shouldn't I do this? Any advice? (No, I can't just buy a daq card with 0-10 V output. Cmon, that would be too easy...)   

Regards,

Mark Garnett

Hi yall... So I may have to do this in order to get a 0-5V analog out signal up to the 0-10 V input signal required by a variable frequency drive. I was thinking of doing so by means of an op-amp configured to work as a non-inverting amplifier to increase voltage 2X, then put this through a unity-gain "power buffer" just to make sure the signal gets to were it needs to go (over long wires) without a whole lot of noise and without potentially messing up the op-amp. Should /shouldn't I do this? Any advice? (No, I can't just buy a daq card with 0-10 V output. Cmon, that would be too easy...)

Regards,

Mark Garnett

Sounds good to me. I would suggest darlingtons on the output if current is required.

Hi yall... So I may have to do this in order to get a 0-5V analog out signal up to the 0-10 V input signal required by a variable frequency drive. I was thinking of doing so by means of an op-amp configured to work as a non-inverting amplifier to increase voltage 2X, then put this through a unity-gain "power buffer" just to make sure the signal gets to were it needs to go (over long wires) without a whole lot of noise and without potentially messing up the op-amp. Should /shouldn't I do this? Any advice? (No, I can't just buy a daq card with 0-10 V output. Cmon, that would be too easy...)

Regards,

Mark Garnett

Sounds like a good plan to me. If you have a long wiring haul, be sure to use twp and keep your returns separate. That is about 90% of noise immunity. Shielding is not as important as it sounds, if you do the former.

Edited by George Pollock