How to open a vi within a vi

Hey,

I'm creating an application which stores measurements (e.g. temperature) to textfiles (*.txt). I've created a vi wich is able to read these files and shows the information in a WaveFormChart.

I would like to use some kind of button within my main panel (interface.vi) to show this vi, but I don't know how to do this.

Could you help me with this problem, please

Kind regards

Geert Dreuning (School Of Technology Holland)

I'm not sure if you are referring to embeded panels. I'm assuming you need a standard pop-up VI.

The easiest way to create a pop-up VI panel is to set the VI to open the panel when called and close the panel if originaly closed. See the attached image:

In order to bring up this property window, you must right-click on the icon in the top-right corner of the front panel of the VI you want to make pop-up.

post-10-1073107920.gif?width=400

• 3 months later...

This topic is very close to my question, so I chose to post here.

I also wish to start a vi for graphing data from within another vi, but in my case the main vi is a loop which must continue to run. I have compiled the second vi and called it with the system exec vi, which does work, but I would much rather leave it as a vi so that when I compile, I will end up with only one exe. I believe that the vi server is what I need to use, but I have had no experience using it. Any help in this area would be appreciated.

• 3 months later...
I also wish to start a vi for graphing data from within another vi, but in my case the main vi is a loop which must continue to run.  I have compiled the second vi and called it with the system exec vi, which does work, but I would much rather leave it as a vi so that when I compile, I will end up with only one exe.  I believe that the vi server is what I need to use, but I have had no experience using it.  Any help in this area would be appreciated.

574[/snapback]

Here is an image of a diagram that performs a dynamic call:

post-2-1089530157.gif?width=400

• 4 months later...
I'm not sure if you are referring to embeded panels. I'm assuming you need a standard pop-up VI.

The easiest way to create a pop-up VI panel is to set the VI to open the panel when called and close the panel if originaly closed. See the attached image:

In order to bring up this property window, you must right-click on the icon in the top-right corner of the front panel of the VI you want to make pop-up.

255[/snapback]

Could you please show me step by step how to wire this figure in block diagram. I really zero in LV. Thanks. :headbang:

• 6 months later...