Veristand with PXI

Waterppk

Anybody out there playing with Veristand yet? I can't get it to connect to my PXI (in addition to many other fun bugs) :frusty:

Nobody's touched Veristand? :unsure:

I think I may have figured it out, I'll post confirmation when I'm done downloading LV2009, it's likely that I need to run new drivers on the RT system all around to get support for Veristand on the PXI (CAN, RIO, RT, etc).

Yeah, turns out to be quite the mess. Veristand RT install doesn't even show up in the software list unless you've got the newest version of LV Real-Time installed, one of the default packages with LV RT is the Web Server 1.0.0, which ironically conflicts with the 9.0 version of RT at this time, so it won't let itself install. I can't find a newer version of RT web server so I've just not installed it to get RT 9.0 up so I can install the Veristand RT.

Moral of the story - if you get a cryptic message about not being able to connect to the FTP server when deploying from Veristand and you've checked your networking it's likely actually that you haven't/weren't able to install the Veristand RT, which doesn't show up if you check the software packages listing if you haven't updated RIO, CAN and RT!

Thanks for starting this thread. Let us know more about the likes/dislikes of Veristand after you have played with it for a while. I'm currently building a PXI based HIL tester and am sort of keeping an eye on Veristand out the corner of my eye.

I'd like to know how friendly the user interface is for a high channel count mixed signal system. (analog I/O, Digital I/O, CAN I/O, etc..) This is the one thing I am struggling with on my system right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for starting this thread. Let us know more about the likes/dislikes of Veristand after you have played with it for a while. I'm currently building a PXI based HIL tester and am sort of keeping an eye on Veristand out the corner of my eye.

I'd like to know how friendly the user interface is for a high channel count mixed signal system. (analog I/O, Digital I/O, CAN I/O, etc..) This is the one thing I am struggling with on my system right now.

I have to say there are a few bugs with Veristand, mainly little things once you get beyond getting the software installed and configured, but overall it is simply head and shoulders better than using SIT or any of the previously available systems/solutions. I'd encourage you to give it a try. Regarding specifically getting mixed channels up and running, it's kind of unusual because they aren't using MAX for configuration, it's configured in Veristand by just telling it you want MIO and how many channels of what you need. Magic happens and you suddenly have channels available to map system I/O to physical I/O with analog/digital/counter/etc. CAN implementation is also much easier/more configuration available.

The best part is the workspace, once you get beyond that it's not anything like LabVIEW in the sense that they've really integrated the editing and running modes to the point where you don't stop the program to edit the UI, you just do whatever you wanted to and it's done. That said, you can still import anything from LabVIEW if you want/need it, allowing you to build custom whatever VI's and put them into Veristand.

Overall, a little buggy getting off the ground but once you've got it figured out it's great!

It has been a while since I played with Veristand personally, but we do use Veristand on some of the systems we are involved in.

Veristand is a great environment to get you started with HIL systems. But, when the complexity (channel count, CAN communication etc.) increases, we feel that Veristand is less user friendly than it could be. This will probably change, since NI is pushing heavily for the Veristand platform, and it has some great potential.

Some comments on Veristand at the moment;

* Great tool for HIL systems in low to medium channel count systems

* Lacks some of the scaling types we (our customer) needs, e.g. lookup tables

* Some bugs in the CAN support

* Front Panel items connected to the same parameter (or a derived parameters), are not updated synchronously. This can look very strange, e.g. if one item displays speed in mph and another in km/h, it feels like the scaling is wrong.

/J