Copyright Registration for LabVIEW written application

Irene_he

Hi,

I hope I don't have to bother doing this, but was asked have to do so for a case. Is it possible at all to file a copyright registration for a software written in LabVIEW? The copyright office needs some 10 pages source code, but only readable text based... how would LabVIEW application get a text based source code? I said what about AutoCAD, they said AutoCAD can convert into script... Has anyone tried this before?

Thank you,

Irene

Hi,

I hope I don't have to bother doing this, but was asked have to do so for a case. Is it possible at all to file a copyright registration for a software written in LabVIEW? The copyright office needs some 10 pages source code, but only readable text based... how would LabVIEW application get a text based source code? I said what about AutoCAD, they said AutoCAD can convert into script... Has anyone tried this before?

Thank you,

Irene

Copyright is an automatic right of the author unless some other contractual obligation takes precendent. It is usually sufficient to add a copyright notices to your software. The issue is only really applicable if infringement takes place and registration with a copyright office is basically registering with an authorised, third party witnessing service that can verify the date and contents of the of copyrighted material to add ammunition to your defence.

However. It is a powerful defence.

The copyright office in the UK allows online-uploading of copyright material (for a fee) and there is no requirement for the uploaded contents since it is irrelevent. They even have a "Registration Update Service" so that you can upload "in development" work as and when it changes. If you are having issues with beaurocracy in your home country I would suggest using them.

UK Copyright Services

Copyright is an automatic right of the author unless some other contractual obligation takes precendent. It is usually sufficient to add a copyright notices to your software. ..

UK Copyright Services

Thank you for your reply. I understand that without registration, I still own the right. But for one special case, I do need a paper certification to satisfy a process. It does not seem that copyright office accepts graphical programming languages' source code, they need something "readable". Isn't LabVIEW readable? (well at least for LabVIEW programmeryes.gif ). I will check out the UK office as you suggested above.

Thanks,

Irene

Thank you for your reply. I understand that without registration, I still own the right. But for one special case, I do need a paper certification to satisfy a process. It does not seem that copyright office accepts graphical programming languages' source code, they need something "readable". Isn't LabVIEW readable? (well at least for LabVIEW programmeryes.gif ). I will check out the UK office as you suggested above.

Thanks,

Irene

I think they are just being pedantic.

The purpose of registration is purely to have evidence (its irrelevent what the evidence is, be it human readable or not) that can be attributed to a date so that you can prove that you thought of it first. Its not like a patent (whole different ball game) whereby a search must be made and you need to prove it is unique and has not been thought of before. The Copyright Office is merely a "vault" where you can register evidence of your copyrightable material. The evidence will only be applicable once you (as in the copyright holder) take someone to court for infringement. Then you can use whatever tools you like (including Labview) to prove you are the original author.