watch VI from web

• 6 months later...

Some things to keep in mind:

1 - the "looking" PC has to have the runtime engine installed.

2 - your "publishing" PC has to upload it via an open port (in Europe, 80 is blocked)

3 - the "looking" pc has to be able to look at the same port (where I work, only 80 is possible)

the combination of 2 and 3 make it impossible for me to do that.

Some things to keep in mind:

2 - your "publishing" PC has to upload it via an open port (in Europe, 80 is blocked)

3 - the "looking" pc has to be able to look at the same port (where I work, only 80 is possible)

the combination of 2 and 3 make it impossible for me to do that.

In response to #1, with my web service tool, that is not correct. The 'looking' PC only needs a web browser. ANY web browser. I can 'look' with my iPhone. I am certain that the run time engine is not installed on my iPhone. As for #2, if that were true, then nobody in Europe would ever be able to surf the web, as all web traffic (HTTP) uses port 80.

As for #2, if that were true, then nobody in Europe would ever be able to surf the web, as all web traffic (HTTP) uses port 80.

Actually, that happens sometimes when you create a web server on your home computer. My ISP (Montreal) blocks outgoing data on port 80 to prevent me from using it as a web server (without paying big bucks for a commercial access). The workaround is to configure the web server to use a different port (http://www.example:1000) that is not blocked. I guess that's what he's talking about.

1) Sorry, for looking it's not needed, but for controlling a control or knob I definitly needed it.

2) Is so. Arguments of "surfing the web" are irrelevant. I don't know (exacly) why it is blocked

1) Sorry, for looking it's not needed, but for controlling a control or knob I definitly needed it.

2) Is so. Arguments of "surfing the web" are irrelevant. I don't know (exacly) why it is blocked

Well, you certainly cannot 'turn a knob' with the web service solution. You can do some things with an automation interface. Like sending a command with parameters to cause the remote app to do something. But graphical interaction is not possible. There is a new web tool coming from NI where you can write a client side UI using LabVIEW like code and compile it into Silverlight code that the client can run. Limits you to web browsers that support Silverlight, however. And it means you need to write two apps instead of one.

Why port 80 is blocked for you, I have no idea. But, I can assure you all of Europe is not blocked from port 80.

• 4 weeks later...

but this address is a local .

maybe i must change "mypc" to current ip address like 82.210.125.150??

Yes you should, or you need some valid internet DNS address.

However when I try to go to 82.210.125.150 I get nothing, if you are connected through a switch you should use port-forwarding to get the incoming port 80 on your computer.

Contact you sysadmin, or if you are the sysadmin read your switch documentation. Be aware that you should not open unnessecary ports.

Ton

• 2 weeks later...