Can I synch up a continuous DMM measurement with a DAQ measurement?

george seifert

I posted this at NI with no luck. Hope someone here can help out.

I need to get continuous measurements with a PXI-4071 DMM (current measurement) and a PXI-6254 DAQ (voltage measurement) but I can't figure out how to synchronize the two measurements. I'll be sampling continuously and reading the buffer at reqular intervals to compute a running average energy so I need the two measurements to line up in time. It's possible (but not as desireable) to get the current measurement with the DAQ, but the DMM would give us a better measurement. The only way I can see to come close to what I want is to trigger both measurements, but then there will be a gap in the measurement while I read the data and setup for another trigger.

George

I posted this at NI with no luck. Hope someone here can help out.

I need to get continuous measurements with a PXI-4071 DMM (current measurement) and a PXI-6254 DAQ (voltage measurement) but I can't figure out how to synchronize the two measurements. I'll be sampling continuously and reading the buffer at reqular intervals to compute a running average energy so I need the two measurements to line up in time. It's possible (but not as desireable) to get the current measurement with the DAQ, but the DMM would give us a better measurement. The only way I can see to come close to what I want is to trigger both measurements, but then there will be a gap in the measurement while I read the data and setup for another trigger.

George

You need to use the RTSI.

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4761