Old bugs I pointed out are still there...

I had posted a long time ago about a bug that crashed Labview. Tech support was all over it. I ran several tests to attempt to isolate it and provided some samples.

I just installed the latest 2009 version and wanted to see if they fixed some of the problems I had found. Good to know the bugs are still there.

If you run this with your 2009, make sure you save all your work first as Labview will crash and then close. Cursors in digital graphs don't mix I guess...

Simple Digital Waveform Graph0.vi

I had posted a long time ago about a bug that crashed Labview. Tech support was all over it. I ran several tests to attempt to isolate it and provided some samples.

I just installed the latest 2009 version and wanted to see if they fixed some of the problems I had found. Good to know the bugs are still there.

Did this get posted to the Bug thread ?

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=BreakPoint&thread.id=8320&jump=true

Posting bugs anywhere and not linking to the bug thread is a lot like writting poetry on the Men's room wall. The next person that reads it may be enlightened but the world will not change because of it.

If it did get posted then check the Known issues to see what the status is.

Just trying to help,

Ben

• Like 1

Quote of the day thumbup1.gif

I think I'll print that and put it in the Men's room...

/J

It was posted on their site and called in. Talked with various support people at NI. Replicated the problem on their end. Ran 10-20 tests for them to try and nail it down. Was then handed off from the techs who answer the phone to the developer's group. I just assumed they would do something with the time I invested to try and help them make a better product.

This is going back more than a year.

It was posted on their site and called in. Talked with various support people at NI. Replicated the problem on their end. Ran 10-20 tests for them to try and nail it down. Was then handed off from the techs who answer the phone to the developer's group. I just assumed they would do something with the time I invested to try and help them make a better product.

This is going back more than a year.

The LabVIEW Champions fought hard to get the bug list going and the whole game hinges on a CAR# in the public forum.

If you have the CAR you can call support and ask about its status. Without a CAR....

praphrasing Boris Badanof*

"No CAR, No Effect"

Ben

* Durring teh Goof gas episode Boris and Natasia realized that Goof-gas had no effect on Bulwinkle. Boris replied "No brain, no effect".

The LabVIEW Champions fought hard to get the bug list going and the whole game hinges on a CAR# in the public forum.

If you have the CAR you can call support and ask about its status. Without a CAR....

praphrasing Boris Badanof*

"No CAR, No Effect"

Ben

* Durring teh Goof gas episode Boris and Natasia realized that Goof-gas had no effect on Bulwinkle. Boris replied "No brain, no effect".

I may have have the case number but to be honest, I don't think its the customers job to keep track of the supplier. It does make for a good excuse. We didn't do anything with it because you didn't check in once a week on the status.....

I may have have the case number but to be honest, I don't think its the customers job to keep track of the supplier. It does make for a good excuse. We didn't do anything with it because you didn't check in once a week on the status.....

I agree.

I was not addressing the quality of this mechanism only how to use what resuource we have available.

Ben

You are correct. It is not your job to keep track of our bugs. Once you file a bug report with us, it's our job to get it fixed. Unfortunately, not every bug that gets filed gets fixed. There's a constant balance between the CAR backlog, fixing CARs for new features, and development of new features. Time available in the development cycle, risk level of the bug's fix, and mutation issues can all keep a bug from getting fixed, sometimes for quite a while. And there are some bugs that eventually reach the point of "it's just not ever getting fixed" simply because the issue is so corner case and requires so much code movement that it's probability of getting fixed falls to zero.

Corrupting bugs have highest priority (those that cause you to lose all your work because the VI is saved wrong).

Crashing/hanging bugs have next priority.

After that is incorrect behavior (doesn't work as documented) and then cosmetic (stray pixels left on the screen, for example). CARs without a known workaround take precedence over those with a workaround. And bugs that occur in the runtime engine take precedence over bugs that occur only in the editor.

What the LV Champions have done is create a system for users to prioritize bug fixes. They have the ability to tag bugs as "this is a high priority to us, even though it may not look like a big deal." That helps make sure a bug gets attention that it might otherwise not get because of other seemingly higher priority bugs. The Champions thus have the ability to speak for the community and say, "This needs to be fixed ASAP." Again, even with the ASAP, it can take a time to get a fix right for some bugs, so "ASAP" may not be the next release.

There are CARs from many versions ago that are still not fixed. Every release we have a percentage of the CAR backlog that we commit to fixing, and every release we chew through a few more of them. I know it is poor consolation that your particular bug didn't get fixed. All I can say is that we fix many, and we try, through the Known Issues list, to keep you apprised of those we don't.

<br>The LabVIEW Champions fought hard to get the bug list going and the whole game hinges on a CAR# in the public forum.<br><br>If you have the CAR you can call support and ask about its status. Without a CAR....<br>..<br>'No CAR, No Effect"<br>
<br><br><br>
<br>I agree.<br><br>I was not addressing the quality of this mechanism only how to use what resuource we have available.<br><br>Ben<br>
<br>Well I have sort of the feeling that the mechanism is broken.<br>The bug list is impossible to maintain, very hard to search.<br>The known issues list is <b>incomplete</b>, and I don't really feel like nagging about the list of issues I have. I pay a good deal of SSP, and I hardly use support, so I prefer them to use that money to fix stuff (I know a single SSP is hardly enough to investigate a bug), that's why I don't really like the new 'ideas exchange' I see a lot of 'nice to have' features that cost resources that can be used better (in <b>my </b>opinion).<br><br>Since we can't look into the CAR database we cannot see what the status of an issue is. <br>I know LabVIEW isn't open software but something better traceable would be very nice.<br><br>Ton<br><br>