Retro User Interface

I think this is a good demonstration of using graphic images to replace common elements of a control. This VI sparked an idea that we could add to the wish list.

mellow.gif See how you have tiled several images to create a background? I think it would be great to have the ability to specify an image in the VI properties and let LV tile then automatically. This would be similer to the HTML tag in web pages to tile a background.

post-19-1073432845.gif?width=400

I've been doing graphical banners on top of the Front Panel for a few years as a 'style'. What is a problem is you can't find a 'family' of graphic controls with a consistent theme.

I think one opportunity for a LabVIEW add on is 'theme' packs & skins a' la Windows media player.

Of course any good graphic artist can cook up whatever you want. I am still looking for a good Web graphic program that can do this.

Of course any good graphic artist can cook up whatever you want. I am still looking for a good Web graphic program that can do this.

I use Photoshop. Since I started using it a year ago, I find it to be the best program out there. This is what I use for the LAVA site. I used it to create the text in the logo and headers and the special button graphics on this forum. It really can't be beat. My most favorite feature is the drop shadowing effects. Whenever I use it I find it adds depth and realism t text and graphics.

If you don't want to spend too much money and want a simple interface, there is Paintshop Pro. It is not so loaded down with complex features and capabilities but it does the job well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I am pretty sure George Zou's G Toolbox has functions in it for setting a bitmap as the background of a Window (any window, not just a VI) and uses Windows system calls to do it. I got it once upon a time for the system tray functions and found it very reasonably priced. If you were desperate for the skin's function for free I think it would be fairly simple to look up the functions and do it with DLL calls to the system.