I think you're in trouble there. There are several people who have attempted to crack the passwords in VI's but have not succeeded. In any case, you may still have an option. National Instruments may be able to unlock the VI's for you. You have to prove that you are the owner of the code. If you are truly the owner of the code and you have your name or company name printed somewhere inside the diagram or fornt panel, then Ni will help you.

This information was given to me several years ago. I don't know if NI still performs this service.

• 3 weeks later...

:ph34r: As one who has tried to hack the password protection. It's not easy and it's not a simple bit flip in the VI file. There are quite a few changes in the VI when password protection is on and off.

I am sure with enough time one can crack it. It is too bad that NI no longer does this. I know some clients who got stiffed with password protected VIs by employees and consultants. They are locked out of code they paid to have written.

• 3 months later...

And I'm positive that they actually use some cryptographic algorithme such as MD5 or similar to protect the password so trying to fake the password is a rather difficult if not useless approach.

The only way I could see is in patching the LabVIEW executable bij removing the password check altogether. But that is beyond my abilities.

• 2 years later...

What do you need exactly to secure?

- Your VI? In this case you can go to the "VI Properties" and, by selecting the "security" part, you can add a password, so no one else will be able to open the diagram without the password.

- Your program? You will need to develop some functionalities to read a word, encrypt or decrypt, then let the user go or not go further in the program!

QUOTE(lraynal @ Mar 2 2007, 12:18 PM)

What do you need exactly to secure?

- Your VI? In this case you can go to the "VI Properties" and, by selecting the "security" part, you can add a password, so no one else will be able to open the diagram without the password.

- Your program? You will need to develop some functionalities to read a word, encrypt or decrypt, then let the user go or not go further in the program!

Password => Brute Force Attack => Not 100% secure...

So you should take a verry long password...

However there are different ways... (reverse engineering)

Another way: remove the Blockdiagramm (but then the vi is only able to run in the LabVIEW version which you used to developp)

QUOTE(alnaimi @ Mar 2 2007, 04:00 PM)

i have tried to sceure it by VI properties but I doenot effect , any one can view it??

I don't know what you mean by "anyone can view it".

If you mean that after you have set a password you can still view the block diagram then this is normal.

To check if your password has taken effect, either close your VI and open again, or go to the menu Tools->Options->Environment and Clear Password cache.

/J