Touctable

Daryl

I had a large touch screen built into a table for one app but it was far from what is shown in thtat video. THt gizmo supports multiple "mouse Downs' to handl ethe two hand stretch.

Ben

Could probably play 2 games of Solitaire at once with that thing :blink:

My cats would love pouncing on this thing. smile.gif

Completely off topic, but this comment reminded of something that happened when I was a kid.

We had a wood burning stove that we used to use to heat part of the house during the cold season. Our cats and dogs liked to lay on the ground near it to keep warm. One day our cat got the bright idea that being near the stove wasn't nearly as good as being on the stove. Have you ever seen a cat walk on tippy-toes? It's quite amusing.

I know "Microsoft" is a dirty word to many here so hopefully I won't be tarred and feathered for dropping this link.

That's cool, thanks for posting this. Cant wait until these things become more mainstream.

Or build a really large LabVIEW diagram. No need for subVIs any more. wink.gif

:lol:

That's cool, thanks for posting this. Cant wait until these things become more mainstream.

:lol:

Wow, I did a multi quote by accident :blink:

Cant wait until these things become more mainstream.

We had a demo unit set up in the building I used to work in. I played around with it on a few occasions and while it is very cool technology it's practical applications are limited to certain types of scenarios. For a single user nothing beats a keyboard and mouse.

Or build a really large LabVIEW diagram. No need for subVIs any more.

I know this comment was made in jest, but Labview development doesn't translate well to any current touch platform. You can do it, but you'll likely get frustrated quickly.

We had a demo unit set up in the building I used to work in. I played around with it on a few occasions and while it is very cool technology it's practical applications are limited to certain types of scenarios. For a single user nothing beats a keyboard and mouse.

I know this comment was made in jest, but Labview development doesn't translate well to any current touch platform. You can do it, but you'll likely get frustrated quickly.

Refering back to the app I mentioned above...

It only took about 30 seconds of trying to code using those toch panels to achieve a state of "frustration". All panel activity is assumed to be a left click unless you "stand on one foot and wave a ... when the moon is full" ... well maybe the phase of the moon is part is an exageration.

Ben

I can see how I would get frustrated, but maybe if the multi-touch had alot of comparability. Like say if I use two fingers it is a right click, or three fingers (middle, pointer, thumb?) I guess that could lead to other issues like accidentally resting a finger on the surface as I was dragging some thing may appear as a right click.

My cats would love pouncing on this thing. smile.gif

I actually LOLed :D I'd love to see them playing "pong" on that!

Have you ever seen a cat walk on tippy-toes? It's quite amusing.

No, but I've seen a kookaburra do it - little bastards used to steal meat off our bbq on the deck angry.gif

I can see how I would get frustrated, but maybe if the multi-touch had alot of comparability. Like say if I use two fingers it is a right click, or three fingers (middle, pointer, thumb?) I guess that could lead to other issues like accidentally resting a finger on the surface as I was dragging some thing may appear as a right click.

Technologically speaking distinguishing between a "left click" and "right click" is pretty easy. I personally favor mapping a "tap and a half" to the right click functionality, but it could also be a foot switch, or a finger sock, or numerous other things. IMO the real problems are insufficient accuracy (believe it or not users can't hit what they're aiming at) and the inherent limitations of a 1:1 ratio between user-movement and on-screen-movement. Here's a link to a post where I describe the problems in more detail.

Technologically speaking distinguishing between a "left click" and "right click" is pretty easy. I personally favor mapping a "tap and a half" to the right click functionality, but it could also be a foot switch, or a finger sock, or numerous other things. IMO the real problems are insufficient accuracy (believe it or not users can't hit what they're aiming at) and the inherent limitations of a 1:1 ratio between user-movement and on-screen-movement. Here's a link to a post where I describe the problems in more detail.

That makes alot more sense than what I was thinking, thanks. Having never used a large touch screen for development I didn't know what the problem would be. Of course I've used a touch screen in a integration environment, but by then the UI would have been designed for a touch screen (big buttons).