LabVIEW in Linux OS

ArunSP

I have a LabVIEW project pprogrammed in LabVIEW for windows OS. Now I wanna move it to Linux. Any porting required when we move across different OS? . Whats the procedure?

Hope not much differences in Labview programming when it comes to Linux? Is there any evaluation version of LabVIEW for Linux before we purchasing license for it?

If you don't use native Windows code (.Net, ActiveX) you can easily port your code to Linux.

Few things to mind:

• DLL, if you have a DLL, and you have a compatible .so file you should configure the calling to use foo.* instead of foo.dll. Just place them in the same folder and the transition should be smooth.
  • Path seperators. On Linux (and Mac) there is a different path seperator (/ instead of \), if you use the build path and strip path functions there should be no problem.

I think that if you contact your local NI office you will be able to have an evaluation version of LabVIEW for Linux.

Ton

Ton got the most important things to watch out for (DLLs and path formatting), but here are a few more: locations (i.e., there is no Documents and Settings, Program Files, etc.), permissions (you can't modify most files outside the user's home directory or /tmp), missing features (there are some features not supported in Linux, like Timed Loops and RT or variable hosting). Those are probably the more common porting issues.