Softwire

• 2 months later...
Also, since I'm sure Mr. Bailey won't mind.  Here is the email we exchanged yesterday:And his response:

To be honest, my only concern is the effort to "prohibiting NI from continuing to sell LabView" as Regis pointed out.  All this dialog is very interesting and educational, but unless we can make a difference regarding this very specific threat, it almost seems like a waste of time.

370[/snapback]

I know that this is an old and pretty much dead issue. But I just couldn't stop laughing when I read that post. Specifically this part from the email

Hi John,

Glad to hear from you again.  I was pleased to see our correspondence posted and encourage you; never lose faith in the power of open dialog.  I will be happy to answer your question although I have to couch the answer somewhat.  Let me explain why.  If I make a statement to you regarding a willingness to settle or specifying a settlement proposal, that statement could be used by NI, against me, in a very unfavorable way.  That is the nature of lawsuits and the constraint of being a principle in one.  I do have to be careful while trying to be as open to the public as possible.

To answer your question as best I can, let me tell you this. Measurement Computing is not in the business of running lawsuits or stealing intellectual property in spite of what Zogas may say.  Since I designed my first (one of the first available) CPU board around the 8086 in 1979, and later that year one for the 8088, I have been in the business of innovating around the personal computer revolution.  SoftWIRE is truly innovative and so are many of our other products.  What I like to do is invent (I hold several patents from software to lighting), to lead and to run businesses.  I have founded several.

The legal system is very interesting John, but not pleasant to be involved in.  It is expensive and adversarial by design.  My father is the attorney F. Lee Bailey, and trust me, I had plenty of opportunity to enter the legal profession had I so desired.  My chosen vocation is business, (Babson College BSBA 79) and my passion is computing.  All my engineering is self or mentor taught, but hey, don't so many of us in the world of the PC share that background.

http://www.labjack.com/minilab1008.html

Gotta love the way business works...

• 9 years later...

I wonder how things are going to be if

somewhere somebody would start a project similar to Softwire's,

but make it this time around open source and Java based...

Something like this looks reasonable to expect if

we all agree that G programming is a great thing.

A new "LabVIEW Clone" based on Java has emerged.  It seems to be a plugin for Eclipse.  It even has a "box" style while loop and a case structure.  The arithemetic functions are mighty familiar-looking!

http://www.zaluum.com/index.html

Edited by smarlow
  • Like 1