LabVOOP architecture question

Hi folks,

I have used LabVOOP before, mainly to implement instrument drivers with base and child classes.

Now I am looking into creating my first LabVOOP architecture and I have a few questions about some implementation details regarding the by Value functionality of LabVOOP.

Say I have an object called Farm that contains an object called ListOfPigs, which handles an array of Pig objects. Now the Pig class has a method called RecordPiglets(BornAlive, StillBorn, Mummified).

In C# I would call that function like this: Farm.Pig[tag].RecordPiglets(7,0,0)

I have no problem getting to the Farm.Pig[tag] point in LabVOOP, i.e. extracting the Pig object in question. But if I now run the RecordPiglets method on that object I will have to update the Pig object in the ListOfPigs object, and then update that object in the Farm object.

I could do that by creating an UpdateObject for every GetObject method in every class. However, that seems a bit unwieldy. Is there an easier way?

Thanks for your help,

Heiko

I have no problem getting to the Farm.Pig[tag] point in LabVOOP, i.e. extracting the Pig object in question. But if I now run the RecordPiglets method on that object I will have to update the Pig object in the ListOfPigs object, and then update that object in the Farm object.

I could do that by creating an UpdateObject for every GetObject method in every class. However, that seems a bit unwieldy. Is there an easier way?

Thanks for your help,

Heiko

Indeed, to preserve dataflow, this is exactly what you have to do.

post-10515-125492401645_thumb.png

If you have many classes, let's say "pigs", "cows" and "goats", then you should add a layer "animal" from which they all inherit. Your Farm class would contain a list of Animals and you can have only one "Write/Read infants" for the Animal class, provided that all animals have the same "bornalive/stillborn/mummified" properties for the infant counts. If you need to override with a different Read/Write for a particular animal, then you can. But it should let you have only one UpdateObject for the whole animals hierarchy.

• Like 1

I don't think there's an elegant way to do this with by-val objects given your class hierarchy. By-ref objects would do it--they may not be the best solution for your particular situation though.

I would of cause not even consider by value unless I really needed the highest speed.
I on the other hand would not even consider a reference solution unless all else failed.

My solution: Give your ListOfPigs class a method called UpdateOnePig, which takes an index of a pig and instructions on what to do to that pig. The instructions can come in the form of parameters that you pass into the ListOfPigs' VI or a VI Reference that you call. The block diagram of the UpdateOnePig has an InplaceElementStructure that has an Index and Replace array node on it.

post-5877-12550095507_thumb.png

I on the other hand would not even consider a reference solution unless all else failed.

I agree that by value should be used where ever it’s applicable.

By most of my classes are instrument drivers and there I can’t live without references.

Some other classes are Singletons and others uses shared aggregation, and therefore it makes my life easier to use one type for all of them, because if I forget that a particular class is by value I get really strange errors ;-)

This is an example of the different looks and feels when using composite aggregation.

post-941-125503884051_thumb.png

post-941-125503883373_thumb.png

ByRefByValue.zip

Cheers,

Mikael