Fonts not displayed properly for EXE builds

I'm having a frustrating problem where the text is not being displayed properly in the Development environment vs the Run-Time environment. When I build my application and run it, most of the fonts are displayed in some other character set. I'm running LV 8.6 on Windows VISTA. I have even updated to LV 8.6.1 patch for both the development and run-time and problem still problem. A co-worker has the same problem if he compiles the application on his computer too. Even when we deploy the EXE to other computers that have the LabVIEW run-time installed, the problem persists.

This problem is not new but the workaround that seemed to work in the past was to remove the "Application EXE" from the Project Explorer and build it from scratch.

Even when going to the category "Run-Time Languages" and selecting only "English" does not removed the Asian characters that are displayed.

post-3553-125510414571_thumb.png

The is the correct display of the Front Panel text characters as seen in the Development environment

post-3553-125510414635_thumb.png

This is the incorrect display of the Front Panel text characters with the compiled Run-Time EXE.

Thanks for the help.

I'm having a frustrating problem where the text is not being displayed properly in the Development environment vs the Run-Time environment. When I build my application and run it, most of the fonts are displayed in some other character set. I'm running LV 8.6 on Windows VISTA. I have even updated to LV 8.6.1 patch for both the development and run-time and problem still problem. A co-worker has the same problem if he compiles the application on his computer too. Even when we deploy the EXE to other computers that have the LabVIEW run-time installed, the problem persists.

This problem is not new but the workaround that seemed to work in the past was to remove the "Application EXE" from the Project Explorer and build it from scratch.

Even when going to the category "Run-Time Languages" and selecting only "English" does not removed the Asian characters that are displayed.

post-3553-125510414571_thumb.png

The is the correct display of the Front Panel text characters as seen in the Development environment

post-3553-125510414635_thumb.png

This is the incorrect display of the Front Panel text characters with the compiled Run-Time EXE.

Thanks for the help.

Try adding the following to your executables "ini" file

appFont="Arial" 12

systemFont="Arial" 12

I just tried that but it did not do the trick.

OK. It probably means you've got a Japanese run-time dll somewhere that is being picked up.

Do a search for "LVRT.DLL". There will be a few.

Right click on each of them and bring up the properties dialogue. Under details it should tell you the language. Are any of them Japanese?

OK. It probably means you've got a Japanese run-time dll somewhere that is being picked up.

Do a search for "LVRT.DLL". There will be a few.

Right click on each of them and bring up the properties dialogue. Under details it should tell you the language. Are any of them Japanese?

I found only one LVRT.DLL for each version of LabVIEW that I have installed on my computer (e.g. version 8.0, 8.2, 8.5, 8.6) and all the DLL properties say the language is English. And when I removed the LVRT.DLL from the LabVIEW 8.6 directory the EXE will not run so I can assume that it is not running some other DLL that I don't know about.

Maybe I have a good reason to upgrade to LabVIEW 2009!

I found only one LVRT.DLL for each version of LabVIEW that I have installed on my computer (e.g. version 8.0, 8.2, 8.5, 8.6) and all the DLL properties say the language is English. And when I removed the LVRT.DLL from the LabVIEW 8.6 directory the EXE will not run so I can assume that it is not running some other DLL that I don't know about.

Maybe I have a good reason to upgrade to LabVIEW 2009!

Hmmm. (Scratches head).

What happens if you put the run-time dll in the same directory as your executable? (long shot :P ).

I've seen this behaviour on LV8.6, 8.5 and 8.2 (I'm pretty sure). When I make an exe I get the same characters you do. What I have done to fix it is just to simply restart LabVIEW and build the exe again, the It works. I have tried recompiling to, you might wan to give that a shot. I also tried removing all but English support and specify the font, but to no help. Must be a bug, but since I get this bug just when I have to deliver my exe and are under stress, I haven't looked into it further.

Yes that seemed to do the trick

"restart LabVIEW and build the exe again".

It took a couple of tries but finally compiled correctly.

It seems odd that this bug has been around since LabVIEW 8.2 and has not been fixed yet. The bug was rather rare but it seems to be getting more prevalent for us now. It's quite frustrating because we're always under the gun to get software out and the last step is testing the EXE. The last thing I need is this headache.

Thanks,

It seems odd that this bug has been around since LabVIEW 8.2 and has not been fixed yet. The bug was rather rare but it seems to be getting more prevalent for us now. It's quite frustrating because we're always under the gun to get software out and the last step is testing the EXE. The last thing I need is this headache.

I have one colleague that has this on his machine, with the same resolution. The reason this hasn't been fixed until 8.6 (and maybe also in 2009) is most probably that it has not been reported yet and/or is so hard to reproduce. I have the same OS (Windows XP), and use the same LabVIEW versions (actually more, as I have every version since 5.1 installed on my machine) and NEVER saw this behavior. I also never heard of it before from someone else.

Rolf Kalbermatter

CIT Engineering Netherlands