Stupid makes me unhappy

GSR

I have a labmate. He just finished B.S.; and thinks himself is a smart person :nono: . He is lazy (Only see him 12hrs a week.) . The things I teach him need to teach him again and again (e.g. sensors are needed to connect gounds; how PCI board connection. I even need to download the same data sheet again and again for him). 10 questions a day. Make a only 5 transistors circuit take a week and a few hours of my time to do problem solve for him :throwpc: . OK! fine (I am just too nice)

My boss may want to motivate him, so tell him that his project is very important. The stupid labmate came to talk to me and tell me that my project is not the lab direction; and don't work too hard :frusty: . I am just thinking to take over his small project after I finish up my stuff.

I have a labmate. He just finished B.S.; and thinks himself is a smart person :nono: . He is lazy (Only see him 12hrs a week.) . The things I teach him need to teach him again and again (e.g. sensors are needed to connect gounds; how PCI board connection. I even need to download the same data sheet again and again for him). 10 questions a day. Make a only 5 transistors circuit take a week and a few hours of my time to do problem solve for him :throwpc: . OK! fine (I am just too nice)

My boss may want to motivate him, so tell him that his project is very important. The stupid labmate came to talk to me and tell me that my project is not the lab direction; and don't work too hard :frusty: . I am just thinking to take over his small project after I finish up my stuff.

Nope. If you do that, his project will succeed and he will get the credit. He might even get a promotion since, after all, he may not be technically bright, but he sure can manage YOU! He'll end up as your manager :P Let his project struggle then when the boss is in dispair offer advice to the boss on how to bring it back on course. Then the boss will probably GIVE you the project. Your labmate will have demonstrated his incompetence, you will have shown your helpfullness and he will end up working for you :)

Any time you get into the habit of taking on someone else's work load the entire company takes on that habit. And bad habits are hard to break. You'll end up being resentful and having too much to do. I would take a bullet for most of my coworkers, but I refuse to cover for anyone who is lazy or takes advantage of the team.

• Like 2

I did that once. Now I am doing ALMOST EVERYONE's jobs:frusty:

I did that once. Now I am doing ALMOST EVERYONE's jobs:frusty:

Man have been in your shoes before. It bites because you want to help people out and they take advantage of you. What you have to do is eventually let that person sink or swim so to speak. The best advice was given above. Let him struggle, or better yet make sure management sees him struggle. i really love the people I work with. Would do just about anything for them, but if they get to be LAZY and stop doing their own work and leaving me holding the bag. then you better believe that I will open my big mouth and say something to them or to management.

Dont take on his work. You will regret it in the end. Cause if you do a good job on his project, he will probably get promoted or even worse they may decide to keep him and let you go.

New quote for sig: "Stupid makes me angry, thats why I constantly stay mad at myself"

What should the stupid ask me stupid question again, what should I say??

A) I told you last time that you should do this this this (the solution) <== I used a couple times

B) You think I am working too hard. I am working hard to spend hours or days to find out solution, so you don't have to think and just need to come to ask me!

C) I don't know

D) I am too busy right now. Sorry

Any other suggestion??

What should the stupid ask me stupid question again, what should I say??

A) I told you last time that you should do this this this (the solution) <== I used a couple times

B) You think I am working too hard. I am working hard to spend hours or days to find out solution, so you don't have to think and just need to come to ask me!

C) I don't know

D) I am too busy right now. Sorry

Any other suggestion??

Tell him that you are busy and he should go fix you a sandwich.:thumbup1:

I tried that with the wife last night, oddly enough she brought me a sandwich...but she stood there and watched me eat it...it tasted off but I said thank you.

Attention LabVIEW Programmers! VI Engineering may have an opening soon... tongue.gif