Artificial Intelegence in LV

I was not fully awake on Saturday AM when it hit me that scripting combined with LVOOP and a bat file (if you are on Windows) maybe enough to get some new life-forms developing on our machines.

1) Bat files runs a Prime-mover.VI that is a member of a class Life-Form and exist.

2) Prime-Mover Copies its project to a new loaction and using scripting generates a child class with random code and does this say 100 times for 100 possible children.

3) A new bat file is generated for each of the children and are run before Prime-mover exits.

All of the children that result in bad code will not run.

Eventually a randomly generated VI will actullay run and then clone itself, and generate another generation of children etc.

But the above just covers survives or does not survive.

So if I modify the Prime-mover such that also evaluates the quality of itself (and by inheritance, itself) based on the number of Quality points it can earn by posting to LAVA,

AND

We give it an copy of the LV help to chew on...

Would it still tell us the answer is 42?

Ben

I thought about something similar a while back (in a different langauge with a compiler). I don't think you really need batch files and projects, you can do just fine with a "clone" vi.

A slight modification to your premis means that you can "grow" more and more complex "creatrures" and see evolution (in theory at least).

Rather than "spawn" the children and hope that one of them may survive, you can use your DNA program (Prime Mover?) to create a vi that has the DNA code + 1 random function. It continues to do that UNTIL something compiles and runs. Now you have DNA and DNA+1 in the primeordial computer soup and each continues to try and create a better "self" until it runs out of functions to try. At which point it becomes "Extinct".

Of course. If nothing compiles and runs then it proves you are a crap God :P

And, by the way, we all know the answer for a computer is not 42......it 10 :)

Edited by ShaunR
  • Like 1

I think he said:

"a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare."

Shaun expressed the idea much better than I. This idea goes beyond the monkey idea becasue an outside entity has to decide if the work is really Shakespeare while the nature of the newly cloned child will decide if it is a "rose" (viable code) or an ill formed bud (broken VI) and, Shakespeares' work need help to reproduce.

Ben

I think he said:

"a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare."

"'It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times?' you stupid monkey"

I think he said:

Some LV code I saw today would have taken 1 monkey a couple of minutes :cool:

Edited by ShaunR

...create a vi that has the DNA code + 1 random function. It continues to do that UNTIL something compiles and runs.

You're assuming the random code would not be the equivalent of a creature with a super-critical mass of fissile material somewhere in its body (e.g. a Delete primitive with "C:\Program Files" wired into the path and a T wired into the recursive input).

You're assuming the random code would not be the equivalent of a creature with a super-critical mass of fissile material somewhere in its body (e.g. a Delete primitive with "C:\Program Files" wired into the path and a T wired into the recursive input).

Isn't that the pinacle of evolution? A creature that goes around trashing its environment :rolleyes:

• Like 1