What is the Source Control Project for?

Does anyone know what the Source Control Project field in the SCC configuration dialog is for? I am using the Perforce SCM provider. I have read the help, goggled the internets and called NI support but know one seems to know.

When I setup SCC, I have to choose something for this field. The dialog that appears has a disabled OK button until I choose a sub folder of my Perforce Depot. If I select a folder, I get error -2915. If instead I continue to expand the tree until I see a file and then select that, it is happy.

I just wish I understood what was going on here.

Thanks for any help!

-John

(using LabVIEW 8.6.1 and the latest version of Perforce P4V on Windows XP)

Does anyone know what the Source Control Project field in the SCC configuration dialog is for? I am using the Perforce SCM provider. I have read the help, goggled the internets and called NI support but know one seems to know.

When I setup SCC, I have to choose something for this field. The dialog that appears has a disabled OK button until I choose a sub folder of my Perforce Depot. If I select a folder, I get error -2915. If instead I continue to expand the tree until I see a file and then select that, it is happy.

I just wish I understood what was going on here.

Thanks for any help!

-John

(using LabVIEW 8.6.1 and the latest version of Perforce P4V on Windows XP)

The Perforce dialog displays the depot structure of the selected clientspec. All you should have to do is select a folder or file in the depot list. There is a known issue with version 2009.1 of Perforce which behaves as you have described. Previous versions have allowed you to select either files or folders. For now, I would select a file under the depot location.

Ok, that should get me past this issue. Thanks!

But I still wold like to know what this setting is for and why I need to set it.

Each SCC provider implements functionality for operations such as Check Out, etc. For Clearcase, for example, getting a project means defining where the local working path will be. So Perforce's implementation displays this dialog. Typically, other IDEs pass in the path of the working project (in the Visual Studio case) and so you don't usually see this dialog. LabVIEW does not require projects but Perforce requires this parameter, so the dialog is required. I would check with Perforce for more information on the dialog.

• 1 month later...