Revealing The Sub-panel Terminal

I accidentaly discovered how to reveal the subpanel terminal. This terminal is usually hidden from view. Only certain methods and properties are allowed on it.

Place a subpanel frame inside a tab control. Right-click on the subpanel frame and replace it with a sub-panel. Goto the digram. You will see a black terminal which is the subpanel. :shifty:

Another spooky thing is that if you then drag the front panel (subPanel) outside the tab control then you have lost it. It dissapears from the front panel but the diagram terminal remains... :wacko:

:thumbup: Cool detective work. It sounds like you found a bug (not a feature). Actually, the SubPanel must have a terminal since it inherits from the control GObj. NI is just being sneaky and hiding it. This reminds me of how you could get RufNum constants onto the block diagram (pre-7.0) by adding them to a cluster typedef that had and instance already on a BD. Yup, that crashed LabVIEW a lot... :P

Try it with a Cluster instead of Tab Control: Put a SubPanel in a cluster and replace the SubPanel with another SubPanel. Then, delete the Cluster, and the SubPanel terminal will remain on the BD.

Now, press the RUN button to crash LabVIEW... :wacko:

Yup, Norm, I think a CAR is in order.

Michael, if you are in the current LabVIEW beta program, maybe you want to submit this, so that it'll be fixed in the next release.

• 2 weeks later...