system exec commands sent from LabVIEW don't work

Hi,

Working on win XP Pro with LV 8.6, if I go to "Start >> Run..." and send the command "taskkill xxx.exe", xxx gets killed. Normal.

If I now open the system exec.vi, type the same command, xxx stays, the error out cluster says "no error" the "return error" indicator says -1073741515 and I get this message from windows : This application has failed to start because framedyn.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I get the same thing with other commands (e.g. tasklist).

On my colleague's computer (same config) commands work from LabVIEW and Windows. What's wrong on my computer? Do I really have to re-install LabVIEW

EDIT: but some command still work from system exec.vi, such has "C:\Program Files\...\Labview.exe" and LabVIEW is launched... :throwpc:

Hi,

Working on win XP Pro with LV 8.6, if I go to "Start >> Run..." and send the command "taskkill xxx.exe", xxx gets killed. Normal.

If I now open the system exec.vi, type the same command, xxx stays, the error out cluster says "no error" the "return error" indicator says -1073741515 and I get this message from windows : This application has failed to start because framedyn.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I get the same thing with other commands (e.g. tasklist).

On my colleague's computer (same config) commands work from LabVIEW and Windows. What's wrong on my computer? Do I really have to re-install LabVIEW

EDIT: but some command still work from system exec.vi, such has "C:\Program Files\...\Labview.exe" and LabVIEW is launched... :throwpc:

If I remember right, you need to put a cmd in front of your command in the LabVIEW call. There might be a switch that's needed after it also. Sorry I don't have more detail - not at work yet.

edit: Did you check the Calling System Exec example?

Edited by Gary Rubin

If I remember right, you need to put a cmd in front of your command in the LabVIEW call. There might be a switch that's needed after it also. Sorry I don't have more detail - not at work yet.

edit: Did you check the Calling System Exec example?

try 'cmd /C' (without quotes) in front of your command string.

Thanks all for the suggestions, the microsoft kb didn't solve the issue but it put me on the way to it.

This (post #5) was the solution to my problem. I just copied the "framedyn.dll" into C:\WINDOWS\system32", it was already in 3 different subfolders, but none of these subfloders were listed in "Environement Variables".