Timestamps & Waveforms: No distinction in variants?

So I'm working on making a generic algorithm for some sorting code of mine, using variants. Came across this little diddy:

post-11742-125735423442_thumb.png

When examining the output, I get: 0x 001C 0054 ...

The fourth byte (54) shows the type, but according to the documentation 0x54 is a waveform type. So I went ahead and wired up a waveform and I also get 0x54. Is this a bug? The two data types appear to not be equivalent (you can't wire up a waveform to a timestamp terminal, for example). Is there a way to differentiate between a waveform and a timestamp when using a variant?

It now occurs to me I've run into this before but didn't dig deep enough...I recall running into unexpected waveform types when using EasyXML

-michael

The fourth byte (54) shows the type, but according to the documentation 0x54 is a waveform type. So I went ahead and wired up a waveform and I also get 0x54. Is this a bug? The two data types appear to not be equivalent (you can't wire up a waveform to a timestamp terminal, for example). Is there a way to differentiate between a waveform and a timestamp when using a variant?

You need to look at the next I16 value after the base type. 0x03 is a waveform; 0x06 is a timestamp. The current version of OpenG LVData/Variant tools don't catch this. But the NI tools (...\LabVIEW xx\vi.lib\Utility\VariantDataType\...) will catch it.