Bug Tracking Software

Daryl

Using Excel to track bugs just isn't working for me anymore so I am looking at different options. I have looked at FogBugz but I do not think it is exactly what I am looking for. I took a look at the Bugzilla website but it looks overly complicated to install. What are you all using? What do you like/dislike about the different tools out there?

Any input is much appreciated.

Using Excel to track bugs just isn't working for me anymore so I am looking at different options. I have looked at FogBugz but I do not think it is exactly what I am looking for. I took a look at the Bugzilla website but it looks overly complicated to install. What are you all using? What do you like/dislike about the different tools out there?

Any input is much appreciated.

Use Excel for small-med projects.

Evaluating FogBugz at the moment tho.

I've been using Fogbugz for a few weeks now and I'm thrilled, so I'm wondering what it's missing for you.  Besides Fogbugz, I've installed & used:

• Mantis on my own site, but don't like managing my own stuff anymore.  It installed easily with a Simple Script from my host's cpanel.  
  • xp-dev.com for SVN, but it has project management and bug tracking as well.  I don't like those parts so much.  They've recently added hooks into Fogbugz to link commits with a bug's resolution.
  • I love  Emacs and Planner mode for managing my projects (and time recording), but these require a particular kind of geek.

I use Mantis. I consider the interface a bit ugly (same for bugzilla). But that's ok for internal use.

The setup I did not do myself but my more IT-focused co-developers. I guess you need to know how to set up a SQL server and things like that. Doesn't seem to complicated, I just try to avoid any code involving text...

Felix

Bugzilla is a little complicated. I had a very good experience with it though at the time because we had an IT guy that managed all of our software. Where I am now I set up Fogbugz on my own and have been using it for a few months. No problems at all. It was extremely easy to set up and it's very user-friendly.

• Like 1

I've been using Fogbugz for a few weeks now and I'm thrilled, so I'm wondering what it's missing for you. Besides Fogbugz, I've installed & used:

• Mantis on my own site, but don't like managing my own stuff anymore. It installed easily with a Simple Script from my host's cpanel.
  • xp-dev.com for SVN, but it has project management and bug tracking as well. I don't like those parts so much. They've recently added hooks into Fogbugz to link commits with a bug's resolution.
  • I love Emacs and Planner mode for managing my projects (and time recording), but these require a particular kind of geek.

For now, i'm trying to find something that can run on a winxp machine. Eventually it will probably be moved to a windows server box but it will not be soon.

For now, i'm trying to find something that can run on a winxp machine. Eventually it will probably be moved to a windows server box but it will not be soon.

Try flyspray, it's simple, easy on the eyes, and free. Open Source

Their webpage is down right now.

you can get it here

http://sourceforge.net/projects/flyspray/

or see a demo here: http://bugs.splitbrain.org/

Try XAMPP if you want to run a web application.

XAMPP is an easy to install Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP and Perl. XAMPP is really very easy to install and to use - just download, extract and start.

You can run a webserver from a thumb drive.  You'll need to know how to set up a MySQL database and install the application, but that's not very hard.  

We use JIRA and love it. We can access it with via a browser, it is easy to do searches, and it does pretty much everything we need. Our contractor and team have had very positive things to say their experience with the tool as we have moved along in the project. Of additional interest to us is that FishEye automatically updates JIRA issues when we reference them in our Subversion update comments (fantastic!) and a new product we are using (Enterprise Tester) links JIRA and Enterprise Architect, which we use to do our modeling.

Paul

Do you have a preference between the two? I just installed Eventum, but I like Fogbugz.

My favorite is FogBugz, because it's faster and have some extra fun features.

But Eventum has what's needed for a bug tracking system, but our version is a bit slow compared to FogBugz.

//Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to go for Mantis.

Based on the following reasons:

I have a wiki running based on Mindtouch, this wiki has an extension where it can list the open issues for a given Mantis project.

The wiki has an extension for Subversion (recent checkins in a path).

I can integrate Subversion with Mantis, meaning that if I use (Tortoise) Subversion's possibility to link to a specific issue the checkin will be added as a 'note' to the Mantis issue. Even more, if I add a comment 'Fixed #3' issue 3 will be closed automagically.

Ton

• 4 weeks later...

I can integrate Subversion with Mantis, meaning that if I use (Tortoise) Subversion's possibility to link to a specific issue the checkin will be added as a 'note' to the Mantis issue. Even more, if I add a comment 'Fixed #3' issue 3 will be closed automagically.

Ton

I can integrate even further, Using Push OK SVN/SCC bridge I can directly set the bug-id from the LabVIEW project checkins!

Ton