Is intermediate II important for CLD exam?

GSR

I just start to prepare CLD exam. I plan to take it next FEB or MAR.

I spend 2 mins to read what is the "traffic light" exercise. It seems not relate to intermediate II course work. Does it mean intermediate II is not useful for CLD exam? Please give some suggestion

TTHHAANNKKSS :lol:

Does it mean intermediate II is not useful for CLD exam? Please give some suggestion

Yes that is correct.

Of course any learning is good, but LabVIEW: Connectivity does not, in any way, relate to helping with passing the CLD, IMO.

If primary objective is to pass the CLD, then you can skip LabVIEW: Connectivity.

My primary advice if you want to pass the certification (any certification!), learn to present what the examiners want to see.

Great point, thats why I think Int I is a good idea as it expresses how NI would like you to build the app.

But it great to hear you didn't need it to pass! That's cool.

I managed the CLD without ever going to a NI course.

Kudos!

From what I can say, the trial questions that are on the NI.com site are not really representative of the CLD...

That may be true, but the exercises in LabVIEW Intermediate I are.

My primary advice if you want to pass the certification (any certification!), learn to present what the examiners want to see.

Exactly, and you'll find it a whole lot easier to do that if you know the LabVIEW Intermediate I course front-to-back. I'm not saying that courses are always the answer, but, in this case, the certification exam was based heavily on the LabVIEW Intermediate I course, so you'd be doing yourself a disservice to ignore it.

I managed the CLD without ever going to a NI course.

If you use LV daily, and consider yourself very competent then you should have no trouble on the CLD.

From what I can say, the trial questions that are on the NI.com site are not really representative of the CLD. The solutions proposed are in dire need of updating as I don't think half of them would pass the quite strict grading criteria.

My primary advice if you want to pass the certification (any certification!), learn to present what the examiners want to see. Single sitting examinations are never a very good reflection of a person's actual ability, but they are a necessary evil unfortunately!

I trully agrre with neil...

I have cleared my CLA (that too in first attempt) without going through any NI Trainings..All that you have to do is just practice , get thorough with the appropriate functions that comes up LabVIEW and see some sample program code (if you want to know how things are coded /best practices.)

I have cleared my CLA (that too in first attempt) without going through any NI Trainings..All that you have to do is just practice , get thorough with the appropriate functions that comes up LabVIEW and see some sample program code (if you want to know how things are coded /best practices.)

I think that the take away is that whilst you certainly can pass certification(s) without training, it's easier if you do have training.

Sure, I admit doing the courses will help if you are not really competant. But if your daily job consists of doing LV code, and if you read the NI forum regularly and have a realistic idea of where your level of experience sits, and if its high enough then doing the courses will probably not really help.

Yes, but simply using LabVIEW on a daily basis doesn't necessarily prepare you for the certification exam either. I am sure that there are lots of sel taught LabVIEW programmers out there that think they are writing great code. However if you really looked at you would see that it is not very good code.

Yes, but simply using LabVIEW on a daily basis doesn't necessarily prepare you for the certification exam either. I am sure that there are lots of sel taught LabVIEW programmers out there that think they are writing great code. However if you really looked at you would see that it is not very good code.

This thread, on that other forum, began with a poor fella expressing frustration over a horrible application he inherited.  The discussion became one that illustrates your point (or, an extension that follows from it) - many "professional" LabVIEW programmers are rather horrible.  (Please don't look at any code I've posted until after you forget I wrote that.)  Many of them charge $100US/hour for their "services".

This thread, on that other forum, began with a poor fella expressing frustration over a horrible application he inherited. The discussion became one that illustrates your point (or, an extension that follows from it) - many "professional" LabVIEW programmers are rather horrible. (Please don't look at any code I've posted until after you forget I wrote that.) Many of them charge $100US/hour for their "services".

I know what you mean. I look at some of the old code that I wrote that I thought was pretty good when I wrote it and I cringe now. There is always room to improve. I know that going through the certification process helped to improve the quality of my code.

I know what you mean. I look at some of the old code that I wrote that I thought was pretty good when I wrote it and I cringe now. [...]

I look at some of the stuff I wrote last year and cringe, although it's not as bad as stuff I wrote three years ago (when I started programming in LabVIEW and when I passed CLD & CPI).  I give a lot of credit for my improvement (such as it is) to this forum (and JKI's and NI's).  I can't say "thank you" enough to people that spend considerable time helping strangers.

I have a long way to go before I will call myself an "advanced virtual architect".  In the meantime, I'll just continue to frequent these forums. 

Yes, but simply using LabVIEW on a daily basis doesn't necessarily prepare you for the certification exam either.

I spent my first few years with LV doing a lot of card-level programming but other than some instrument I/O, have done very little of that sort of thing in the past 10 years. Is this something I would need to go back and review for the CLD exam?

I am sure that there are lots of sel taught LabVIEW programmers out there that think they are writing great code. However if you really looked at you would see that it is not very good code.

Someone's been peeking at my code again! ohmy.gif

Hmmm.

Well the presentation I am referring to was given by Tom Bress at NI week 2009. It is titled

"From spaghetti code to State Machines: One Man's Journey through the NI Certification Process"

http://www.ni.com/ni...esentations.htm

Dan

I heard recently that Tom is going to be publishing a book regarding this very same topic. I liked his presentation when I saw it at NI Week.

Hmmm.

Well the presentation I am referring to was given by Tom Bress at NI week 2009. It is titled

"From spaghetti code to State Machines: One Man's Journey through the NI Certification Process"

http://www.ni.com/niweek/summit_presentations.htm

Dan

Cheers I tried again and it worked so maybe it was busy last night?

This shows all the presentations - thanks for the link!

https://lumen.ni.com/nicif/us/niwkswdevtech/content.xhtml