Can we control electron/charge float in the air

superhero

Is it possible to group a lot of charges into a small volume and control its movement?

Yes. It's essentially what Millikan demonstrated when he calculated the elementary electronic charge. See Millikan Oil-drop experiment.Well, it all depends what you mean by "lots of charges"... If your goal is to control it in 3D, then you'd need a 3-dimensional electric field gradient controller. Are you trying to lift yourself from the ground like a superhero? Wait, I assume you already know how to do that... :P

Is it possible to group a lot of charges into a small volume and control its movement?

Sure. Go to your local hardware store and select a big value pack of batteries. Take them off the shelf. Put them in your cart. Buy it and bag it. Take it home. Take it to your room. You are in control of it's movement. Dance with it if you want. A car battery will give you a bigger charge but it's a lot harder to dance with.

NoNoNo!

I am thinking about like Ken in Street fighter. He puts his energy into a ball and release it out. Can we put charges into air, and control how it float to make a person shock in theory.

- Superhero

Sure, rub your shoes on the carpet and then put your finger on your co-worker's ear. That'll shock him with electrons floating in a controlled fashion in the air ;)

NoNoNo!

I am thinking about like Ken in Street fighter. He puts his energy into a ball and release it out. Can we put charges into air, and control how it float to make a person shock in theory.

- Superhero

Is the dude in the next cubicle being to loud for you or something?

rolleyes.gif

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=kamehameha

wink.gif

(Just a joke. Sorry, I love that site)

Yeah I didn't get offended but I know some people do. Even so it was a bad example, because you should have googled "what does kamahamaha mean" or "translate kamahamaha". And I did google it before posting, just out of curiosity and there wasn't an obvious answer.

Yeah I didn't get offended but I know some people do. Even so it was a bad example, because you should have googled "what does kamahamaha mean" or "translate kamahamaha". And I did google it before posting, just out of curiosity and there wasn't an obvious answer.

Wiki:

Paiʻea is said to have had a dour disposition, and acquired the name he is best known for today: Kamehameha, from the Hawaiian language term for "the lonely one".

I expected it to mean something in Japanese...this all has nothing to do with controlling electrons anymore.

Oh, fine cool.gif

One can guide charged particles through free space using fields generated by guide plates or guide wires. For instance, time-of-flight mass spectrometry uses this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-of-flight_mass_spectrometry.

For the pulse of energy itself, you could use anything that generates a gaseous plasma or free electron cloud: laser, ebeam gun, etc.

All of these (including various ball lightining experiments) require large amounts of equipment and power, positioned very carefully, and aren't terribly useful outside of scientific fields. Hence, no public demonstrations of lightning guns.

• 10 months later...