Irony

Cat

After responding to the poster who wanted to make an executable without the RTE, I had to create an installation for an offsite customer to use. My little 760KB exe turned into a 62MB whopper (zipped, even), which was then too big to email over my !@#$% (sorry) network.

Argh. throwpc.gif

After responding to the poster who wanted to make an executable without the RTE, I had to create an installation for an offsite customer to use. My little 760KB exe turned into a 62MB whopper (zipped, even), which was then too big to email over my !@#$% (sorry) network.

Argh. throwpc.gif

Anyone else click the !@#$% link expecting something to happen?

Yeah this is a downfall of LabVIEW for sure. When I was first learning LabVIEW I would make a cool small application that didn't serve much of a purpose. But I couldn't easily share it with friends because of the runtime engine issue. I do think 62MB is a little extreme, what version of LabVIEW was it built in? I have the LabVIEW 7.1 runtime at 11MB zipped with normal compression levels. But that's still too big for most email servers, I think many are at a 10MB limit, while I know gmail is 20MB.

Posting this zip would be illegal right? Since NI owns the runtime engine? Attached is my file list for my LabVIEW 7.1 runtime. I've been told that my file list is extensive and could be trimmed.

LabVIEW 7.1 RunTime.txt

Anyone else click the !@#$% link expecting something to happen?

I did that myself. smile.gif

I do think 62MB is a little extreme, what version of LabVIEW was it built in?

I just did a test where I saved a blank vi, created an exe using all default settings, then created an installation with it adding nothing but the 8.6.1.RTE. It came in at a hefty 75MB.

I have the LabVIEW 7.1 runtime at 11MB zipped with normal compression levels. But that's still too big for most email servers, I think many are at a 10MB limit, while I know gmail is 20MB.

Oops. I was going to send it from my gmail account tonight at home. Good thing I haven't gotten around to dumping my domain yet. I can send just about anything thru there.

Posting this zip would be illegal right? Since NI owns the runtime engine? Attached is my file list for my LabVIEW 7.1 runtime. I've been told that my file list is extensive and could be trimmed.

I'm not sure about the legalities. And I'm not sure if downgrading is an option. Someone "borrowed" my 7.1 development laptop a year or so ago and I haven't seen it since.

I have the LabVIEW 7.1 runtime at 11MB zipped with normal compression levels... Posting this zip would be illegal right? Since NI owns the runtime engine?

I'm not sure, but I doubt it - I think you're given the right to distribute the RTE and it's components, but I'm not sure if you're allowed to distribute it in any way other than it's entirety. I don't think they'd be interested in supporting anything other than the full install, but I don't think they'd be upset if a cut-down version exisited.

Anyone from NI care to chime in if you're listening? Might be a good question to ask NI directly.

I have had many problems over the years emailing executable to customers.

Two problems I have found arise.

1. File to large for email

2. Customer's Firewall/Virus scanning doesn't like .exe

My solution (and it has worked well) is I ftp the executable to my website and my customers can download it. This method has worked very well.

Recently I have learned about Google Docs http://docs.google.com/

This looks like a very good way to share files with customers and other folks. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks very interesting.

Dan

The RTE size has been roughly doubling with every major version of LV, but LabVIEW is certainly far from the only one. Java and .NET are two examples that come to mind of frameworks which have run-times of comparable size.

If you wish, there are any number of file hosting sites which will be happy to take your file for free and will take files up to a couple of hundred MB. Mediafire comes to mind, but there are many others.

Java and .NET are two examples that come to mind of frameworks which have run-times of comparable size.

That's a really good point Yair - a lot of people forget that those components have RTEs as well. Just because they automatically (or almost automatically) update in the background doesn't mean that they're not taking up a bunch of your bandwidth to download and a significant portion of your drivespace.

FTP and other file hosting sites sound like a good idea, in theory. But there might be some security issues involved with that...

I'm going to give our head IT guy a call today and see if he has any suggestions. Otherwise, it's snailmail.

You'd better make sure your boss isn't too friendly with the IT department, or come the next performance review, all those logged URLs could mean a lot of trouble. ohmy.gif

I know! You guyze and all your restricted links are going to get me in a lot of trouble! smile.gif